How to Create a CUBE in SSAS
CREATING a CUBE WITHOUT DATA SOURCES in SSAS
This is possible in ways a) Without Template b) With template
- On the fly we need to create measures, measure groups, attributes and dimensions.
- The on the fly created objects we can store in a data base, so that we can process data later.
Solution Explorer → cube → new cube → next → o Generate tables in the data source template(None) Next → Add new measures Measure name measure group data type Aggregation Actual cost Text_Fact_new Single Sum Estimated cost Text_Fact_new Single AVG —- —– Next → Select dimensions from template Time———- Run new dimensions Name SCD Attributes Product 1 – – – – – – Location 1 – – – – – – – Next → next → Regular calendar
Dimension Measure Group1 Time1 Product1 Location1 Next → cube name: CB-Test Generate schema now → Finish → Next → Create a new data source view Data source view name: DSV_CB_TEST Data source: CB_TEST_DS [if required click new & specify —–] Next → next → next → finish → close Now (a) The time 1, product 1, location 1, text fact new tables created in a data source (CB-TEST-DS) (b) cube opens in BIDS Deploy cube, process cube by adding data in source tables (timel, product 1—–).
- Here there “templates” and select / Create dimensions, facts on the fly (dynamically).
Cubes → RC new cube → Next → Generate tables in the data source template Select template (Adventure works enter pries edition) Next → Select measures, Measure group (or) Create Measures, Measure group Next → select dimensions (or) Create dimensions Next ———-<Rest of the process like above>
- Understanding analysis services documents and business needs.
- Creating calculations, actions, Kpis
- Adding, manipulating measures
- Adding, removing dimensions and relationships
- Processing dimensions and facts
- Working on named queries, calculations
- Writing MDX queries, expressions
- Calculated measures, members etc—-
- Creating partitions (if required)
- Creating data source data source views
- Manipulating structures
- Managing partitions
- Creating cube (optional)
- Designing a model (star schema, snow flake etc—) for the project
- Creating cube, partitions etc.
- Defining relationships etc—