Overview of the SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office
SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office
The SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office is a Component Object Model (COM) add-in that extends Microsoft Office by enabling the user to harness the power of SAS analytics and access SAS data sources from within Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
You can use the SAS add-in to execute stored processes dynamically and embed the results in your documents and spreadsheets.
Within Excel, you can use the SAS add-in to
- access and view SAS data sources
- access and view any other data source that is available from your SAS server
- analyze SAS or Excel data using analytic tasks.
Why Is the SASAdd-In for Microsoft Office Important?
There are many business users who can benefit from the power of SAS analytics, but they are not comfortable working in a traditional programming environment.
The SAS Add-In brings SAS analytics, data access, and SAS content to the Microsoft Office environment.
These business users are already familiar with Excel and Word and use the products daily. The ability to run SAS programs within these programs provides tremendous flexibility and functionality.
With the SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office, you can
- embed SAS reports and analytics into Microsoft Office applications using stored processes
- exchange data between SAS servers and Microsoft Office
- manipulate results and distribute them with existing Microsoft Office functionality.
The following are the system requirements for installing and using the SAS Add-in for Microsoft Office:
- Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP
- Office 2000 or greater
- SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office.
Interaction with SAS Application Servers
The SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office can use different types of application servers:
The SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office does not interact with the SAS OLAP Server. Microsoft Excel can access SAS OLAP cubes using the pivot table functionality built into Excel.