This tutorial gives you an overview and talks about the fundamentals of SharePoint.
- SharePoint is a web application framework and platform developed by Microsoft. SharePoint integrates intranet, content management, and document management. SharePoint is mostly used by midsize businesses and large departments. Below we have put out some important points that we shall include in our sharepoint online training programme.
- SharePoint comprises a multipurpose set of Web technologies backed by a common technical infrastructure. By default, SharePoint has a Microsoft Office-like interface, and it is closely integrated with the Office suite
- The web tools are intended for non-technical users. SharePoint can provide intranet portals, document and file management, collaboration, social networks, extranets, websites, enterprise search, and business intelligence.It also has system integration, process integration, and workflow automation capabilities.
- Enterprise application software (for example, enterprise resource planning (ERP) and customer relationship management(CRM) packages) often provide some SharePoint integration. SharePoint incorporates a complete development stack based on web technologies and standards-based application programming interfaces (APIs)
- As an application platform, SharePoint online training programme with MindMajix, teaches how sharepoint is a central management system, its governance, and security controls for implementation of these requirements. The SharePoint platform integrates directly into Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), which enables bulk management, scaling, and provisioning of servers, as large organizations and cloud computing providers often need.
- A SharePoint intranet or intranet portal is a way to centralize access to enterprise information and applications on a corporate network. It is a tool that helps a company manage its data, applications and information more easily. Microsoft claims that this has organizational benefits such as increased employee engagement, centralizing process management, reducing new staff on-boarding costs, and providing the means to capture and share tacit knowledge
- SharePoint is often used to store and track electronic documents or images of paper documents. It is usually also capable of keeping track of the different versions created by different users. In addition to being a platform for digital record management systems that meet government and industry compliance standards, SharePoint also provides the benefit of a central location for storing and collaborating on documents, which can significantly reduce emails and duplicated work in an organization.
SharePoint Core Functionality
- A SharePoint Site is a collection of pages, site templates, lists, and libraries configured for the purpose of achieving an express goal. A site may contain sub-sites, and those sites may contain further sub-sites.
- Typically, sites need to be created from scratch, but sites can also be created according to packaged functionality. Examples of Site templates in SharePoint include: blogs, collaboration (team) sites, documents, and meetings .
- Lists and libraries have the same properties. This could be considered similar to a database table. For instance, you can have a list of links called “my links”, where each item has a URL, a name, and a description.
- Lists have many features such as workflows, item-level or list-level permission, version history tracking, multiple content-types, external data sources and many more features. Some of these features depend on the version of SharePoint that is installed
- SharePoint supports the creation of multiple views of a list or library, including Gantt chart and calendar views. Views can define columns to show rankings, aggregation and establish criteria for inclusion in the list.
- Web-parts based on completely custom code can be built in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and uploaded by end-users to SharePoint as packaged, sandboxed features. Due to the prevalence of SharePoint, third-party vendors often provide SharePoint web-parts for intranet sites.
We have compiled few more articles to get you acquainted with SharePoint training . We will cover these in-depth in our SharePoint online training sessions.