The developers while building a technological solution to build highly functional and structurally complex applications that supports their business objectives providing instant event messaging facility.
For example: When a subscriber express interest to know about certain topics or procedure of business operation,the company publishers sends the relevant information immediately.
* The users can push messages to Windows, Google, Apple kind of smart devices along with IoT devices.
* One can be send messages for multiple times to any number of recipients directly.
* One gets immediate notifications on errors occurred in the system.
* Integrating and providing access indirectly with an external system.
* Send duplicate messages to n, no of devices associated.
* If size of the message is more than the required, SNS does not cut the words and push ,instead it sends the whole message limiting its push action to 1600 bytes
* It also manages pub/sub messaging service where the event are notified immediately when there are changes made in independent building block made to form a single application.
Company owns the topics along with giving access permissions to the topic. Subscribers are clients registered who wanted to receive notifications on specific topics that interest them.
Publishers send messages to topics. SNS matches the topic with the list of subscribers interested in the topic, and delivers the message to each and every one of them. Here’s how it all fits together:
The SNS API has certain list of functions making the whole operation successful.:
1.CreateTopic function -creates a new topic.
Topics are groups of events or access points prepared for identifying a specific subject or content. Each topic is given with a unique reference identifier (URI). Topic names are 256 characters log written in upper and lower case letters combined with numbers, and hyphens. A user can create 100,000 distinct topics. Create a topic in the Amazon SNS console,
2. AddPermission function - establish the access permissions on the Topic
These are in the form of statement. They acts as access control policies on each topic.
3.The Subscribe function - expresses the interest in receiving messages on a particular topic.
4.The Publish function to post messages.
AWS SNS provides pay-as-you-go-pricing with no upfront installation charges.It is free for the first 100,000 SNS requests per month, first 1000,000 HTTPS notifications and the first 1,000 email notifications. More details on pricing is given in SNS page.
|Owner||Create Topic||To create a Topic|
|Delete Topic||Deleted previous Topic|
|List Topic||Provides list of topics associated to a User|
|SetTopic Attributes||You can set, update, modify attributes to a publisher. subscriber|
|SetTopicAttribute||Set, Update,Modiy attributes on Topic|
|GetTopicAttributes||To view an attribute.|
|Add & Remove Permission||For access control permissions|
1. It supports message of size 256kb only or up to 140 bytes.
2. When message is not delivered immediately, the messages are holded in a queue which is called as dead-letter queue. AWS SNS does not support this system.
3. Data retention - storing the data records for business purposes is not supported by AWS SNS.
4. FIFO ( First in First Out) of message ordering system is not supported by AWS SNS.
5. Does not support two-way SMS feature.
6. Amazon SNS cannot determine a delivery model as mobile phone, VOIP or landline
7. It does not even support scheduled message delivery feature
You can send SMS from your AWS Management Console account or one of AWS SDKs. Both supports Promotional messages for marketing and Transactional messages that support customer interactions and transactions.
Using Amazon Console,
1. Sign in to https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/v2/home.
2. Select the geographical region you want to send the message.
3. Choose Message Type from Text Messaging Tab.
4. Type the Number, Message or Custom ID of the sender and
5. Send the Message.
Subscribe an HTTP or HTTPS endpoint by following the steps below.
1. Sign in to the AWS Management Console and open the Amazon SNS console at https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/v2/home.
2. Click Topics to select the topic.
3. Click the Other actions drop-down list and select Subscribe to topic.
4. In the Protocol drop-down list, select HTTP or HTTPS.
5. In the Endpoint box, paste in the URL for the endpoint that you want the topic to send messages to and then click Create subscription.
6. For the Subscription request received! message, click Close.
7. Your Subscription ID displays.
You can also provide Delivery retry policy to SMS if failed to deliver in first attempt. However, by default, AWS SNS makes 3 attempts to deliver a message.
You can also give access permissions to publish or send a message to your end users by defining a control access policy to topic or to user ID.
And finally, open the Amazon SNS console at https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/.
1. Slick Topics and select a Topic.
2. Click the Publish to topic button.
3. In the Subject box, enter a subject (for example, Inbound Marketing Course with Internship )
4. In the Message box,enter the message
5. Click Publish message.
|AWS Certified SysOps Administrator||AWS Certified Solutions Architect / Professional|
|AWS Certified Developer||AWS Certified DevOps Engineer|
|AWS Technical Essentials||AWS Database Migration Service|
|AWS Lambda 2016||and many more...|
Get Updates on Tech posts, Interview & Certification questions and training schedules