How to use tabadmin for administrative task automation in tableau?
Recommended by 0 users
Using tabadmin for administrative task automation
The tabadmin toolset is proposed for the use by designated server administrators who are responsible for configuring and managing tableau server’s data and metadata. Tabadmin has its own set of commands that are exclusively used for this purpose. You can find a categorized list in appendix A.
Normally, a very limited number of technical staff members are tasked with the responsibility of developing, maintaining, and monitoring system performance.
The various tasks performed using tabadmin include:
- Tabadmin help
- Handling system backups and restores
- Displaying information on system status
- Cleaning service log files
- Resetting the password for the tableau server account
- Enabling or disabling access to tableau server’s postgres database
- Constructing the zipped log files and
- Starting and Stopping of tableau server
Starting tableau server
The tabadmin command tool is also useful for few additional tasks. The tabadmin command line tool has the following list of commands: activate, administrator, asset keys, autostart, backup, cleanup, configure, customize, etc. The recommendations in the list below should only be tackled under the direction of tableau software support or a qualified tableau server partner.
- Altering default time-out provisions for queries
- Modifying default time-out limits for idle users
- Constructing a server log file
- Configuring tableau server processes
- Printing tableau server license information
- Printing information on active users
- Setting primary and secondary gateway hosts
- Executing system changes via the configure command.
The tabadmin command line utility is the fundamental tool for maintaining the safety and performance of the server. Tableau software provides extensive documentation on their website.
The first step while using tabadmin is to open a command prompt as an administrator:
Next, navigate to Tableau Server’s bin directory by entering the following:
cd "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.3\bin"
You’re now ready to enter tabadmin commands.
Change Tableau Server’s Configuration from the Command Line:
When you enter a command that changes the server’s configuration (a
tabadmin set command, for example), you need to follow a sequence of steps:
- Stop the server before issuing the command.
- Enter the appropriate command to make the configuration change.
tabadmin configto push the change out to all of the server’s configuration files.
- Start Tableau Server again.
Change the server’s configuration using the
tabadmin set command:
tabadmin set [option-name value]
Display Command Line Help
Use the tabadmin built-in help to get a quick description of a command.
To display help for all tabadmin commands enter:
tabadmin help commands
To see help for a specific command, enter
tabadmin help <command>. For example:
tabadmin help set
Certainly, tableau provides online reference material that covers all of the details with a deeper insight. You can find this by navigating through the admin view and selecting the help menu present on the upper right of the screen, then get necessary ‘help and support’.
This in turn takes you to the online ‘help screen’ where you will find the online administrator guide. Specific sections related to tabadmin activities include tabadmin, database maintenance and troubleshooting.
The first eleven posts of this text were all about about introducing you to tableau desktop, tableau’s server products (server, online, and public) and tableau server’s command line toolset. In the final post, short case studies will be presented that gives you an overview about how others generally use tableau to address their business needs.