If you're looking for Hyperion DRM Interview Questions & Answers for Experienced or Freshers, you are in the right place. There are a lot of opportunities from many reputed companies in the world. According to research Hyperion DRM has a market share of about 8.8%.
So, You still have the opportunity to move ahead in your career in Hyperion DRM Development. Mindmajix offers Advanced Hyperion DRM Interview Questions 2021 that help you in cracking your interview & acquire a dream career as Hyperion DRM Developer.
Hyperion DRM Interview Questions - Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Hyperion DRM Interview Questions
Q1) What is Hyperion? Explain?
Ans:- Well, Hyperion is a database that allows the user to access data very quickly compared to the rest of the databases. This company was actually bought by Oracle in the year 2007 and then has made significant improvements to the product.
For Hyperion, we have a fancy name as well which is nothing but Business Intelligence, usually called BI. The primary use of this is to support and provide value-add services for businesses while taking decisions.
So most of the time the BI system is actually classified as Decision Support System (DSS). So this aids the organization level process improvement and efficiencies. All the data is gathered and based on the suggestions the organization will be in a good position to make decisions.
Q2) What is Hyperion Planning?
Ans:-The Hyperion Planning is nothing but a budgeting and forecasting platform where it was previously owned by Hyperion Solutions Corporation. But all of this is executed under Oracle as they have bought this company in the year 2007. So Hyperion Planning actually uses an Essbase ( Essbase is nothing but an s multidimensional database product sold by Hyperion) and calculation engine, repository for harvesting business logic.
Further to access all of these services, they have provided a web-based user interface.
With the help of this software, the user will be able to add planning and forecast related data to the actuals. With the use of Web forms, the users will be able to play around with the data by using Excel SmartView Tool. All the reporting tools that are provided by Hyperion are really great for planning and have a wide usage.
Related article: Hyperion Planning Online Tutorial
Q3) What is HFM, explain?
Ans:-The HFM stands for Oracle Hyperion Financial Management. As per the name itself states that it is a financial management related tool. It is a web-based tool that helps the users to deliver financial consolidation at the global level and on top of it provides analysis and reporting abilities as well. It is a highly scalable tool which is provided by Oracle.
This tool can be easily and quickly installed without another hassle and it is integrated directly into the Oracle and non-Oracle based transaction systems. They provide top-notch reporting needs where the organization's top tier can enjoy the tailored information easily.
Related article: HFM Tutorial
Q4) List out all the different types of Log files?
Ans:-Within Essbase, they are many log files that are available. But the below-listed log files are considered to be important compared to the others:
1. Application log
Q5) Define what is an attribute?
Ans:-The attribute is nothing but a group of members that are based on the associated attributes. Using these attributes you will be able to perform calculations and also use calculation functions. A dimension is nothing but a classification of the member.
For example: Let’s consider a sample database where the product dimensions are nothing but attributes where they have information like size, package type, flavor, etc. So adding up these attributes together to the dimensions will help them to retrieve the information something like this below:
Diet Coke with 10 Oz with bottles. This type of information is used for generating reports.
Q6) Explain how does Attribute dim impact the report performances?
Ans:-The report performance is impacted by Attribute dim, as follows:
1. The report performance is at high risk because all the attributes are calculated dynamically as per their reference. If we have a very large number of attributes then the report performance could go down drastically.
2. The report performance will be compromised if the data is loaded in this fashion. While loading the data if the selection criteria and rejection criteria are applied for the same record. During this scenario, the file will be rejected.
Q7) What are the main features of Hyperion Planning?
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
Ans:- As per the recent releases, Oracle Hyperion Planning is offering a wide range of services, they are as follows:
1. Hyperion Planning offers a bunch of new features for users and administrators.
2. It provides ASo support with planning
3. With the help of a flexible import and export process metadata is simplified.
4. Provides a wide variety of options in reports visualizations
Q8) Explain, how the data is stored in Essbase database?
Ans:- The Essbase is nothing but a file-based database. The data is stored in the form of PAG files of 2 GB each and they can grow in sequence.
Q9) Why is Oracle's Hyperion Financial Management tool is useful for financial managers?
Ans:- The Oracle Hyperion Financial Management tool is very useful for financial managers are as follows:
1. It is a boon for financial managers where they can easily consolidate the financial results based on the reports they can execute
2. This tool helps them to match up with the global regulatory requirements
3. The overall compliance cost is reduced
4. The confidence in numbers is supported by great visualized reports
Q10) What are the key features of the Hyperion Financial Management tool?
Ans:- The key features of this tool are:
1. It has a consolidation feature at the global level
2. Its web architecture can be expanded
3. Dimensionality wise it is unlimited
4. It can support complete end to end audit trails
5. It offers the greatest and powerful reporting and analysis tools
6. It has the robust data integration
Q11) Within the Hyperion Essa database, can we use ASO and BSO databases within a single application? If yes please explain.
Ans:- Within the Hyperion Essa database, we cannot use both ASO and BSO databases for a single application. While creating an application the user has to select either ASO database or BSO database.
So based on the selection only the users will be able to create the database. Also, the classification is at the application level and not at the database level.
Q12) Expand what is ASO and what is used for?
Ans:- The acronym ASO stands for Aggregate Storage Option. The use of ASO is as follows:
1. This is used only if we have large number of dimensions
2. Out of the dimensions, most of them are limited
3. Also, we cannot write back into the ASO database
Q13) Expand what is BSO and what is used?
Ans:- The acronym BSO stands for Block Storage Option. The use of BSO is as follows:
1. Within this database, the dimensions are less and dense.
2. We can write information back to the BSO database, that’s the reason they are used for planning applications
Q14) Is there any way that we can build dimensions directly from the data sources without using any rule files?
Ans:- No, you cannot build dimensions directly from the data sources without using rule files
Q15) At what point in time do we generally use build rule files?
Ans:- So, we use build rule files to automate the entire dimension creation process with thousands of members involved.
Q16) What are the primary build methods that are used for building dimensions?
Ans:- The top 3 methods that are primarily used for building dimensions are as follows:
1. Generation references
2. Level references
3. Parent-child references
Q17) What is the full form of UDA? How different is UDA from Aliases?
- The full form of UDA is user-defined attributes. The main use of UDA is nothing but it represents the class of the members.
- Aliases are nothing but another name of the members. Aliases and UDA both are different and they are used for different purposes.
Q18) Does UDA impact the size of the database?
Ans:- UDA is not at all related to the database size, it doesn’t have any impact on the database size because UDA doesn’t require any additional storage space.
Q19) What are attribute dimensions?
Ans:- The Attribute dimensions provide a flexible approach when compared to UDA’s.
In Attribute calculations dimensions include Five members, they have defaulted to the following names.
1. Names sum
These dimensions are automatically created and they are calculated dynamically.
Q20) Can we display UDA’s values in reports? Do they have any impact on the report performance?
Ans:- The UDA values are not at all displayed in the reports and they don’t have any impact on report performance.
Q21) What are the extensions for an outline, rule file, and a calc script?
Ans:- The extensions are listed as follows:
- For an outline file, the extension is .OTL
- For a rule file, the extension is .RUL
- For a calc script, the extension is .CSC
Q22) What is the primary role of provider services?
Ans:- The primary role of providing services is mainly to communicate between the Essbase and the Microsoft Office tools.
Q23) Let’s assume that you have created an application in Unicode mode. At a later point in the time can you change it to non-Unicode mode?
Ans:- Well, once the application is created in Unicode mode it will be left as it is for its life. We cannot change the application from Unicode mode to non-Unicode mode. This option is not possible.
Q24) How to invoke a serial or parallel calculation method in Hyperion?
Ans:- Well, if we have a single processor then we will be using a serial calculation. But, if we have a parallel calculation then we will have multiple processors. All the multiple processors are actually divided into tasks and then finally into threads and finally execute on different processors
Q25) What are the types of partitioning options available in Essbase?
Ans:- They are three types of partitioning options available in Essbase, they are:
1. Replicated partition
2. Transparent partition
3. Linked partition
Q26) Explain when does fragmentation occurs?
Ans:- The following is the list of factors where the fragmentation occurs:
- Within read/write databases, if the user is constantly updating the data.
- If the databases are continuously executing calculations 24/7.
- Data loads that are not properly designed.
Q27) How can you measure the fragmentation?
Ans:- The following is the list of methods where the fragmentation can be measured:
- By using the average clustering ratio
- Average fragmentation quotient
Q28) How can you prevent and also remove any fragmentation?
Ans:- The following are the steps where it will help the users to prevent the fragmentation from happening, they are:
- By appropriately designing the data loads and making the process smoother.
- Sorting the load records based on the dimensions and members will ease up the data load process.
- By grouping the required sparse members, data loads can be optimized.
The following is the list of things that the user has to follow so that they can remove fragmentation :
- Perform a database export option.
- Deleting all the data within the database with CLEARDATA and do follow up tasks of reloading the file.
- A forced restructuring of the database.
Q29) Can you list out different types of database restructuring?
Ans:- The following is the list of different types of database restructuring, they are:
- Implicit Restructures
- Dense restructures
- Sparse restructures
- Outline-only restructure
- Explicit restructure
Q30) What are the different files that are used while restructuring the database?
Ans:- The following are the list of different files that are used while restructuring the database:
- Essxxxxx.pag - This is nothing but an Essbase data file
- Essxxxxx.ind - This is nothing but an Essbase index file
- Dbname.esm - This is nothing but an Essbase kernel file that contains valuable information which is used to recovery db if needed
- Dbname.tct - This is nothing but a Transaction control table
- Dbname.ind- This is nothing but a free fragment file that is used for index-free fragments
- Ddname.otl- This is an outline file that has all the metadata defined