Most frequently Asked Workday Interview Questions
Technologies need for business is growing rapidly, large scale businesses require to manage N number of applications to handle their operations. This is the reason ERPs and CRMs are so popular nowadays. Enterprise based solutions are the core focus application bundles that are used by companies on a very large scale. Workday is one of the enterprise resource solutions which helps to achieve the ease of organizational processes and resources. It ensures the optimum use of available business assets with proper tracking setup. One can have the complete workflow and resources to use the information to run the operation efficiently.
Most people struggle to get the right resources to learn about the workday. Well, it’s not easily available, But we have made it easier for you to get Workday interview questions, online training programs. It’s very important to have information about Workday current updates and community resources.
Workday skills can be used in many such as report writing and information handling, Business Process Management, Workday security aspects, application integrations,
If you would like to become a master in managing financial and human applications, then visit Mindmajix a global online training platform: "workday training" this course will help you to achieve excellence in this domain.
Here we are going to discuss some of the most important Workday questions asked in interviews
1. What is Workday?
Ans: Workday is a large scale enterprise-based solution software, being widely used by the companies to fulfil the need for application integration. Workday manages and offers the collaborative application and process handling through Human resource management, Payroll Management, finance and Purchase related operations in a single platform.
It is a cloud-based solution that offers and collaborative platform to the application and company resources to manage the day to day operations with ease.
It is one of the most popular SaaS (Software-as-Service) Based ERP products that are widely used by corporate, education Institutes and Financial Groups. It integrates a high level of operational support modules such as finance, HR, Talent Management, Purchase and many more process which ensure the continuity of the businesses.
2. What are the advantages of Workday?
Ans: Workday is a highly scalable and flexible enterprise solution which comes with N number of advantages such as:
- It gives you immediate access to the most efficient real-time data transaction.
- It supports a high level of flexibility
- Ultra advanced reports give the ability to find out data insights and make data-driven decisions.
- You can get your on-demand customized reports without wasting valuable business time.
- The employee can see and manage their benefits, address change requests, absent requests, work time tracking and many more without holding it to HR command.
3. What kind of Reporting you can expect from Workday Suit?
Ans: Well, Workday is an advanced and diverse environment that helps you get the business on track with efficient reports and valuable information assets. It provides access to Real-Time and multidimensional reports with insightful analytics. It gives you the ability to drill down at transactions – level and gives the hand full of information to make data-driven decisions efficiently. Hence it makes you more productively daily. You can analyze the data based on contexts and manipulate the information to get expected Business Outcomes.
4. How you can get access to Workday?
Ans: You need to create a login account using that credentials you can easily access the Workday platform in an organization. As per the access rights given to the particular individual you can get the accessibility of reports and tasks.
5. Define the features of Workday HCM?
Ans: Workday HCM stands for Workday Human Capital Management. It is the only application that integrates the HR functions with Resource Management in a single platform. It gives you embedded analytics, employees' and manager's self-service platform, and advanced user experiences, unlike any other enterprise solutions. Workday enables an ability to manage In-house, Global and diverse workforce at this level.
6. List out the Key Advantages of Workday.
- Time Tracking
- HR operations
- Human Resource Management
- Payroll solution
- Target Management
- Payroll co-sourcing service
- Cloud Connect for third party payroll connect
- Career and Development Planning
7. What is the cost of a Workday HCM license?
Ans: Well, the cost depends on many external and internal factors attached to the business process. Workday has a wide range of offerings for business solutions. It can be subscription-based or can be a one-time license payment. One has to enquire about product sales to know the exact cost of their feasibility.
8. How you can get access to the Workday information?
Ans: Well, you can get the accessibility and implementation details at Workday Home Page.
9. How the organization can use workday?
Ans: Workday gets used by different groups of employees for serving different purposes. Based on the Business Process Requirement and employee role in processing the business information one can get access to the Workday environment. The Workday can be used in many ways in an organization such as managing employee benefits, attendance, time tracking, financial decisions management, leave and absent management and many more.
10. List out the modules supported by Workday.
Ans: The two different modules supported by Workday are
- Workday Finance
- Workday HCM
11. What is the browser support available in the workday?
Ans: The Workday supports a good number of browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox.
12. How Workday Support ERP systems?
Ans : ERP (Enterprise Resource planning) in a clustered platform which enables the organization to perform various Business Process into an integrated environment. Workday enables you to an integrated ERP platform that manages various business processes such as (Payroll management, HR and Finance Management systems).
13. How many Workday updates are released per year?
Ans: Workday releases two major updates per year.
14. List the modules supported by Workday human Capital Management Suite
- Recruiting Time Tracking
15. List out Workday Post-Production and Pre- Production tenants modules.
- Sandbox Tenants
- Production Tenants
- Implementation Tenant
- Gold Tenant
16. the difference between Workday Reporting and SQL ERP System.
Workday enterprise solution offers Workday reporting for managing data on a large scale. Workday Reporting is designed on an object-oriented relationship model. At the time of creating reports, you need to select the primary business source and data model.
SQL ERP system follows the relational database model. It offers a wide range of ERP solutions for financial management and accounting systems.
17. What are the ways to access the Workday Standard Delivery Report?
Below are the ways to access Workday Standard Delivery Reports
- Browsing by category in the Sitemap
- Running Workday Standard Reports
- Writing the name of a specific report in the search bar
18.List the main types of Workday Integrations.
- Workday Studio Integration
- Enterprise Information Builder (EIB) Integration
- Cloud Connect Integration
19. Explain the RaaS Report.
RaaS is a type of web service enabled report featured by Workday and can be understood as Report-as-Services.
20. What do you understand by the term Business Process?
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
The business process is a stream of tasks associated to define each other in the process of producing business outcomes. Business outcomes and results depend on the streamlined business processes and that process can be anything either internal or external. Auditing is also an important aspect of business which ensures that the existing process is going as business needs and standards.
21. What are the Workday security groups?
Workday facilitates ensure operations for all these below:
- All users
- All employees
- All Contingent workers
- All Terminees
- All Retirees
22. What are the security group types provided by workday?
- Level based
- Integration System
23. Define the process of editing the Business Process Definition. How the Business Process Events will be impacted in case you the Business Process Definition.
Ans: You can search the Business Process Name -> Edit Definition of the related action.
Already running the Business process won’t get any impact of creating a New Business Process Definition. It keeps running in the background without causing event overlap.
24. Name the search prefix which is used to limit the search of Business Processes.
Ans: The search prefix is “.bp:”.
25. Name the Task which is used to Test the assigned steps in Business Process whether it's assigned to you or another co-worker in the organization? Define the configuration process and the environmental limitation of that task.
Ans: purpose of “Start Proxy” is to test the task assigned to any co-worker in the Workday platform. “Proxy Policies” can be created or configured using the “Create Proxy Access Policy” task module. It cannot be created and used using the production environment other than Start Proxy.
26 . How the organization can be tied to Business Process Using a Workday environment?
Ans: Workday gives and flexibility to organizations to define their work process. It allows specifically designed processes per organization as per their need. If the business process needs to be run in a collaborative space with multi-organization dependencies definition, Workday follows a hierarchy approach to check and select which definition needs to be executed.
Take any simple example of the resource hiring process for an organization that refers to multiple departments such as “IT development, Technical Support, Business Process Management, Marketing and Sales and So on.
The requirement may vary for each individual resource. Their responsibility is defined uniquely under different departments. Workday follows hierarchy based operational architecture which manages the depending on various conditions.
27. How can you ensure that one has the specific action to perform in the Workday environment?
Ans: Well, it's quite a simple thing to define access in the Workday environment. You need to edit the Business Process Security Policies to achieve this outcome. Business Process Policies control access to resources in a secure environment. Only the authorized person can have access to the specific business process.
28. Which report can help you get the details of all action types available in the Business Process Type?
Ans: The report which can give business process details is Business “Process Configuration Report”.
29. List out the Business Process Steps in the workday?
Ans: “Start Proxy” task gives you the details of the Business Process Involved in an organization.
- Entry Condition
- Exit Condition
- Running Conditions
- Validation Condition
30. List the approval steps in the Business Process.
- Individual Approval
- Approval Chain
- Consolidated Approval
- Consolidated Approval Chain
- Mass Approval
31. Explain Business Process Completion Steps and its importance.
Ans: Once the completion step finishes the “Complete step” final execution, it’s called a Business Process Completion Step. As other actions depend on the completion step, it's important to major this step for Business Process Completion. But at the same time, it does not necessarily depend on all the included steps to final their completion depending on this step.
Let’s take an example to understand this :
Similar to the organizations when they hire a new employee, it's important to do the background verification to onboard the resource. Though this is not part of the hiring business process but its important for the onboarding process. It shows that the HR does not need to wait for all the information to cross-check and verify before onboarding but there is certain information related to educational qualification, other job authentications are important to get verified. The rest keeps working in the latter stage of the verification process. Processes can be set and priorities as pre-hire and post-hire based on their requirement.
In the process stream if no step is marked as completion step then the last step in the stream will be “Completion Step” by default.
32. How do you check and mark Business Process Action behavior if it is already running? Name the search prefix used in this process.
Ans: The Actions such as cancel, reassign, and delegate, correct can be used to make changes in any behavioral pattern of the Business Processes. To search these events Workday gives you prefix as “action”.
33. Which group supports the security majors of Workday operations? Can you use this group If you need to modify security?
Ans: Workday defines a specific workgroup for security modification that is “Security Administrator or Security Configurator “. Yes, it can be used to modify the security of Business Processes.
34. Name the report which is responsible to view all security groups assigned to users?
Ans: View Security Group for Users, Reports give the information of all security groups assigned to particular users.
35. Which report is used to return all items that can be accessible to each security group?
Ans: View Security Group, Report is used to return all items that can be accessible to each security group.
36. Name the Report that is responsible to show all the security items in the group (Task, Report, Business Process Security Policy, Web Services).
Ans: View Security for Securable Item keeps the information of all items allocated to security groups.
37. Name the two security policies in the workday?
- Business Process Policy
- Domain Policy
38. Why the Domain Security Policy is Important?
Ans: It provides information on security groups that can access and modify tasks using GET and PUT transactions through integration.
39. Name the Report and Task that helps you reviewing Domain and Business Process Type between different Workday Modules.
- View: Functional Area Reports
- Editing: Maintain Function Area Task
40. How to apply changes in security policies?
Ans: For applying the changes in security policy you required RUN “Activate Pending Security Policy Changes”.
41. What is the process to fix the security and restore the functioning quickly?
Ans: You need to RUN” Activate Previous Security Timestamp” to get back to the previous time when the “Activate Pending Security Policy changes” was executed.
42. What are the two types of reports generated in the Workday and what is the difference between the two?
Ans: The two types of Reports are:
- Report Writer Reports: This can be copied and customized as per the user needs
- XpressO Reports: It cannot be copied and customized.
43. Name the prefix which restricts the search of the report.
Ans: The prefix which restricts the search of the report is “rd:”.
44. How the Business Object and Data Source are related to each other? Explain with an example.
Ans: The business object is a template of an entity where the Data Source is the data selection or the group of data that creates the template.
Let’s take an example of
Business object as =” Employee X’
Data Source= ‘All Active Employees’
The report has to produce the result based on these two selections for All Active Employees within the organization.
In other hands the scenario for Business Object= ‘Country’
Should return the data source as =’All Asian Country’
This is a Non-Workday example which will return ‘India, China, Indonesia, Pakistan and so on’.
45. Name the delivered report which can provide the relationship between the Business Object, Data Source and Security Groups that have the reports access?
Ans: The report which provides the relationship between the three (Business Object, Data Source, and Security Groups) is ‘Data Source’.
46. Name the two ways to create a report in the workday?
Ans: You can create reports in Workday using the below two ways:
- Running the Create Custom Report Task.
- Coping a Workday Standard Report and modify it.
47. List the types of reports that can be generated using Workday?
48. Explain the difference between Simple and Advanced Reports.
- Simple reports can be shared easily but Advanced report doesn’t give the flexibility of sharing.
- Simple reports give you access to related Business Report, But Advanced Reports cannot provide the facility.
- Advanced Reports can be RaaS (Reports as Services) enabled but Simple Report cannot support RaaS features.
49. List the Class Report type fields.
- 1:1/1: M Object
- Self Referencing Instances
50. Scenario: Suppose you shared a report with your Co-worker in your organization, will they be able to see the same result while running the reports with similar input values and why?
Ans: No, the results cannot be assured exactly the same as the security access to the Data Source defines the results that can be seen by a Co-worker.
51. Define the value of Calculated Field in the workday? How can you create a Calculated Field? How you can use it?
Ans: Calculated Field as the term itself defines is a field that allows you to manipulate existing data in the Workday environment.
To create a Calculated field you require to RUN the Calculated Field Task.
Usage of Calculated Field are:
- Lookup Related Values
- Currency Conversion
- String or Text Manipulation
- Expression evaluation
- Date Formatting
52. Who are the industry users of Workday?
Ans: Well, Workday serves a good number of industry needs they are:
- Large Enterprise holder
- Mid Size Business
53. Does the Workday HCM support mobile configuration?
Ans: Yes, Workday HCM can be accessed through iPhone and iPad.
54. List out the supports offered by Workday HCM.
Ans: It supports the following:
- Knowledge Base
- Online Support
- Phone Support
55. List out the integration supported by Workday.
- Workday Studio Integration
- Enterprise Information Builder (EIB) Integration
- Cloud Connect Integration
56. What the security groups supported by Workday?
- Level Based
- Integration System
57. What are the integration ID types provided by Workday?
Ans: There are three types of integration ID available in Workday:
- Workday Integration ID
- External Integration ID
- Reference ID
58. What is the use of XSLT in Workday Integration?
Ans: XSLT is used for transforming the Input and Output data into XML Document.
59. Does Workday support API integration?
Ans: No, Workday does not support API integration.
60. Explain Workday Payroll concepts.
Ans: Workday gives you a vast Payroll Management integration platform which enables you to group employees, manage payroll calculation rule, handle employee benefits with flexibility and their process requirement. You can also integrate with some outsource payroll software platforms such as ADP Payforce. Workday payroll is a part of the Workday HCM (Human Capital Management ) system. It is a unified Payroll management platform integrated with robust HCM to gives access to optimum process outcomes.
It enables the organization to core system- of-records with the help of HCM to manages change in benefits, Time tracking, leave management and many more.
Employees can request leaves, download payslips by using this self-service portal.
61. Explain the features of Workday Financial Management?
Ans: Workday Financial is an advanced accounting system. It is a cloud-based system that focuses on speed, flexibility, robustness, cost-effectiveness and HR solutions. It is a full bundle of all financial and accounting needs of an organization with the essence of HR management policies. Workday Financial Management helps you to get the data insights and get easily auditable records.
Workday was launched in 2006 with the purpose to serve through fulfilling enterprise-based solution requirements of the organizations.
62. Workday Services Include
- Workday HCM (Human Capital Management)
- Global Payroll Management
- Finance and Accounting Management
- Spend Time Management
- Multi-dimensional SaaS solutions
63. List the features of Workday Financial.
- Revenue Management
- Accounting and Finance
- Management Reporting
- Grants Management
- Performance and Goal Management
64. List of Corporate Customer’s Workday
- Bank of America
- Johnson & Johnson
- Warner Music Group and many more
Workday in one shot
Workday is a SaaS-based ERP product expert in HCM (Human Capital Management ) and Finance Management. It was founded in 2005 and launched in the year 2006 as a Software-as-Services model. It is an ERP based integrated software bundle that offers a wide range of services such as(Recruitment Management, Admissions, Registrations, Academic Records, Employee payrolls, Leaves, and Attendance Management ).
Workday usage predesigned business processes specifically built for productive and efficient process management setup. It offers the same single line of programmable code for all lines of users, such as corporate, educational institutes, financial hubs and many more.
It is a service delivered over the internet network. Workday manipulated data is securely stored into the Workday cloud. It also eliminates the usage of million-dollar investment in physical infrastructure. Workday also provides a high level of analytics and reporting system to enable businesses to get the maximum information-driven decision for business benefits.
Workday community forum allows students, users, to incorporate and present their innovative ideas for product enhancement as per the collage working strategies and principles. This one of the reasons makes Workday the most utilized and user-centric product among the many ERP’s available in the market.