This tutorial gives readers an overview and talks about the fundamentals of QlikView.
What is Qlikview and its components
Qlikview does in-memory data processing, data integration and stores them. It can read data from files and relational databases. Supports creation and consumption of dynamic apps. It makes the data presentation in an interactive way.
QlikView has 3 major components:
- QlikView Desktop: It is a development tool
- QlikView Server: Stores QlikView applications
- QlikView Publisher: Loads data from sources and publishes it to the clients.
- QlikView – the data access solution that enables you to analyze and use information from different data sources.
- A number of features have been added to QlikView 10 with the purpose of providing possibilities to add metadata to the QlikView document. Adding metadata remains entirely optional for the developer.
- Fields can now be tagged with system defined and custom meta-tags. A number of system tags are automatically generated for the fields of a document when the script is executed.
- In analogy to field comments it is also possible to read or set comments in source tables. The comments are shown in the Tables page of the Document Properties dialog and as hover tooltips in the Table Viewer.
- Chart expressions can be given for an explanatory text comment. These are visible and editable in the Expressions page of the Chart Properties dialog,
- The script editor has been redesigned. A number of new commands can be found in the menus, e.g. the ODBC administrator can now be opened from inside the script editor; also the 32 bit ODBC administrator can be opened from a 64 bit QlikView
- The basic idea is that QlikView at script run spawns a second process – QVConnect – that in turn connects to the data source. Two different QVConnect files are installed in the QlikView folder: QVConnect32.exe and QVConnect64.exe. It is also possible to develop custom connect programs.
- The interpretation and transformation of data are now done in multiple threads, which speeds up the load process tremendously. This does not imply any changes to the load script, i.e. the load script is still sequential: no parallel branches can be defined.
- In previous versions, Input Fields needed to be loaded in a well-defined order for their values to be correctly associated after a reload. The Input Field values were always associated with the same record number, which caused problems if the load order changed, for example by inserting new values.
- This is a new file/stream format for high performance input to QlikView. A QVX formatted file contains metadata describing a table of data and the actual data. In contrast to the QVD format, which is proprietary and optimized for minimum transformations inside QlikView, the QVX format is public and requires a few transformations when exporting data from traditional database formats
Qlikview Server Components
- In order to enable new integration options for enterprise customers and OEM partners, new management APIs for QlikView Server and Publisher have been developed.
- A new high-level tab in the enterprise management console provides a unified view of all settings, listed by users across your entire QlikView deployment. From this view, it is also possible to change the settings for e.g. user CALs, distributions and documents.
- A QlikView administrator can now delegate the responsibility for managing tasks to one or more selected user. The QlikView administrator can also set limitations to where the document administrator is allowed to distribute a document.
Compatibility issues for earlier version of Qlikview.
- New QlikView 10 document features will of course not work in QlikView 7.52, 8 or 9 but will be retained even if the document is opened and edited in the earlier version. The whole thing works very much like Microsoft Office files that have been working for some time now.
- QlikView 10 will open all QlikView files created in QlikView 7.52 and later. If you need to open files from earlier QlikView versions, you need to go via QlikView 7.52
- QlikView 10 cannot save documents in any file format used in versions prior to QlikView 7.52.
- QlikView Server 7.52 and later will work seamlessly with QlikView 10 clients as will QlikView Server 10 with QlikView 7.52 and later clients.
Benefits of QlikView:
- Allows instant in-memory manipulations of data sets.
- Economical hardware requirement.
- Quick and robust visualization capabilities.
- Easy to use even for a non technical user.
- Highly scalable and instant response.
- Flexible as it allows unlimited dimensions and measures.
Mindmajix Qlikview Tutorial