SAP PP Interview Questions
SAP PP Interview Questions
Q. Explain what is SAP PP?
SAP PP process is related to production planning of a company and it encompasses all activities like MRP (Material Requirement Planning), BOM (Bills Of Material), Routing, Capacity planning, etc. but mainly it contains two segments
- Material Planning: Material requirements planning, long term planning,
- Execution Planning: Creation of production order, workflow, conformations, technical completion and good movement
Q. Mention what are the production processes in SAP?
There are three types of production process in SAP
- Discrete Manufacturing
- Repetitive Manufacturing
- Production- Process Industries
Q. List out the activities carried out in Production Planning?
Activities involved in Production Planning includes
- Processing material master
- Creation of Bill of Material
- Displaying work center and routing
- Maintaining planning calendar
- Maintaining production lot
- Maintaining quota file
- Defining range of coverage profile and profile for safety time
- Defining MRP views
Q. Explain what is Routing in SAP PP?
Routing in SAP PP is referred to a list of activities which are required to produce any material. For example, when you do cost estimation for the material, the system triggers the relevant routing and activity rates for all those described in routing. Which will helpful to calculate the processing cost in product costing.
Q. What are the steps of Production Execution Process?
Production Execution steps include
- Converting planned order to production order
- Releasing the production order
- Goods issue for production order
- Confirmation of production order
- Goods receipt against production order
Q. What are the reports generated in product cost controlling information system?
Product Cost Controlling information system generates information for following areas
- Product cost planning
- Cost object controlling with the subcomponents
- Product cost by period
- Product cost by order
- Product cost by sales order
- Costs for intangible goods and services
- Actual costing / Material Ledger
Q. Explain what “work center” in SAP PP is and what is the use of Data in Work Centers?
“Work Centers” are business objects in SAP-PP that is used in task list operations (routings, maintenance task lists, inspection plans) and work orders.
Data in work center is used for
- Scheduling: Formulas and operating time are entered, so that the duration of an operation can be calculated
- Costing: Formulas are entered so that the costs of an operation can be calculated
- Capacity Planning: The available capacity and formulas for capacity requirements is entered
- Simplifying operation maintenance: Various default values can be included in the work center
Q. What is the use of MRP PP evaluations?
This role contains a function for evaluating the MRP result. This function can be used to find information about the availability of material and to identify any material shortage situation.
Q. Mention what is the purpose of using Capacity Planning?
Capacity Planning supports planning in all phases
- Long term rough cut planning
- Medium term planning
- Short term planning
It can be integrated with various SAP applications like SAP-SD, PP, PP-SOP, PP-LTP, PP-SFC, etc.
Q. Explain how can you create production order without routing and BOM?
Without BOM and routing you can create a production order by changing the config in OPL8 ( order type dependent parameters) as routing optional. When we try to create an order using C001 it may ask for a sales order.
Q. Explain what happens to planned after it has been converted into production order?
When planned order is converted to the production order, the planned orders are offset by production order. The planned order reference can be seen in the production order.
Q. Mention what is the difference between stock transport order and stock transfer order?
- Stock transfer order: It is referred to the transfer of stock for the usage in the same company
- Stock transport order: It is referred to the change of title of stock in the name of the buyer
Q. Explain what is PRT (Production Resource Tools) in SAP PP?
PRT (Production Resource Tools) are moveable operating objects used to perform repeated activities in plant or production maintenance, for example, documents such as drawings or programs for which document management functions are used. Various other PRT components include
- Engineering drawings
- Measurement Instruments
Q. Explain how to create PRT master records?
To create PRT master records you have to follow the following steps
- Choose logistics/Accounting -> Project System -> Basic data -> Master data -> Production resources and tools -> Create
- The initial screen for creating a PRT appears
- Enter a number for the PRT and choose continue
- The basic data screen appears
- Maintain the basic data
- Choose Goto -> Defaults and enter the default values
- Save the PRT
Q. Mention what is the t-code for changing production order and to display production order?
T-code to change the production order = C002
T-code to display the production order = C003
Q. Explain what is PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) in SAP PP and what is the use?
It is a collection of solutions with which you digitally create, maintain and make product information, available in the whole company and for the entire life cycle of the product.
PLM provides you the function with which you do following things
- The workplace is an open portal in the world wide web and allows you to access all application and information that you need to work with all external and internal business partners
- It can link with other internet applications like program management, change and configuration management and engineering collaboration.
Q. In SAP-PP what are the costing parameters?
In SAP-PP, the costing parameters are as below
- Work Center: Activity types and the formulas, cost center
- Routing: The time, activity types
Q. In cost controlling information system mention the fields that are listed in the list screen of the report?
Following fields are listed in the list screen of the report
- Basic data
- Cost component group 1/ Cost component group 2
- CostCompGr(fix)1 / CostCompGr( fix)2
Q. Explain what is the use of SAP Material View and list out other parameters where SAP Material View is applicable?
SAP Material View is an SAP object that not only hold name of the material, but various other information related to material like
- Material production related information
- Material planning related information
- Material sales related information
- Material purchase related information
- Material storage and warehousing related information
- Material costing and accounting related information
- Material batch specification information
Q. Mention what are the types of Master Views for Production and Planning?
For production and planning types of Master Views are
- SAP MRP1 View
- SAP MRP2 View
- SAP MRP3 View
- SAP MRP4 View
- SAP Work Scheduling View
Q. Mention how MRP (Material Requirement Planning) types are classified?
MRP types are classified in two leagues
- Materials for consumption based planning
- Planning based on demand
Q. Mention what are the key fields found in MRP View 1?
MRP views 1 are mostly maintained for production purposes.
- General Data
- MRP Procedure
- Lot size data
Q. List out the basic procedure for dispatching operations in capacity leveling?
For dispatch operations basic procedure includes
- Either the user determines the date of dispatch or else it is specified by scheduling
- A dispatching sequence needs to be determined if several operations need to be dispatched
- The systems checks for
- The dates to which operations are to be dispatched
- The work center to which operations are to be dispatched
- Finite scheduling is performed
- Operation check is performed
- Status for the operation is set as “dispatched.”
- System carries out midpoint scheduling
Q. Explain what is the need of MRP list if the stock requirement list is already given?
MRP list displays the result of the last planning run, changes that occurred between planning runs are ignored in the MRP list. While contrary to this, in the stock or requirement list all changes that occurred in the stock, issues and receipts are displayed by the system.
Q. Mention what are the t-codes for creating, changing and summarizing BOM?
BOM transaction codes for
- Creating BOM= CS01
- Changing BOM= CS02
- Summarized BOM=CS13
Q. Mention what is the use of t-code CS20 in BOM?
With t-code CS20 you can do Mass changes to BOM like
- Change the item data
- Creating new material
- Replacing it with another material
Q. What are Traffic Lights in MRP?
red = the stock is not available
yellow – the stock is in average level stock
green = the stock is available
Q. What is MRP List and what is the use of it?
Definition of the MRP List
The system creates MRP lists during the planning run according to how you set the creation indicator. These lists contain the planning result for the material. The MRP list always displays the stock/requirements situation at the time of the last planning run and it also provides a work basis for the MRP controller. Changes that are made after the planning date are not taken into consideration, so the list is static. MRP lists are stored in the system until they are either deleted manually or replaced by new lists from a subsequent planning run.
Q. What is the use of Stock Requirement List?
In the stock/requirements list, the most up-to-date stock and requirements situation is displayed. The main difference between the MRP list and the stock/requirements list is that each time the stock/requirements list is called up, the system selects the various MRP elements and displays the most up-to-date situation. You thus always see the current availability situation of the material in the stock/requirements list. Changes that are made after the planning date are displayed directly, so the list is therefore dynamic. Stock/requirements lists are not saved in a fixed state in the system, but are subject to change and only exist in the working memory.
The screen layout of both lists is basically the same. The system automatically runs the rescheduling check directly when both lists are created and puts forward rescheduling proposals. The number of exception messages displayed in each list is roughly the same. The only difference lies in the fact that, due to the nature of the list, no exception messages can occur for newly planned MRP elements in the stock/requirements list. Directly after the planning run, both lists contain the same information. As soon as a change relevant to MRP is made, the system updates the information in the stock/requirements list. As stock/requirements lists are subject to change, they cannot be set with a processing indicator.
Q. What is MRP controller Means?
The MRP controller is a person or a group of persons responsible for monitoring material availability. You can use the number entered here, for example, to select the planning results per MRP conroller. Every material that is relevant to the planning run must be assigned an MRP controller number in the material master record. You can also determine a special person for backorder processing who receives a mail if a goods receipt was posted for a missing part. You must enter the mail name of this person in the field entitled, recipient name. In addition, you can define a person or a group of persons, who are to informed if you send a mail from the MRP list or stock/requirements list to the MRP controller for the material displayed. Actions
Q. What is MRP group and what is the use of it?
In this step, you can carry out the total maintenance of the MRP groups and you can allocate a material type to an MRP group. The MRP group is an organizational object that can be used to allocate special control parameters for planning to a group of materials. You can maintain MRP groups if planning control per plant is not precise enough for your requirements and you want to allocate certain material groups different control parameters from the plant parameters. For this purpose, MRP groups are defined with these specific control parameters and are assigned to the material in the material master record (MRP 1 screen).
For example, the following control parameters can be set for the total planning run:
- the creation indicator for the plarequisitions, MRP lists, and so on)
- the planning horizon
- the consumption mode
The following is valid for total planning and single-item planning:
- for all materials without an MRP group, the system uses the plant parameters, or the entries in the initial screen of the planning run
- for all materials with an MRP group, the system uses the parameters recorded in the MRP groupnning run (creation of purchase)
Q. What is Purpose of Schedule Margin Key?
In this step, you specify the floats for determining the basic dates of the planned orders. The floats are allocated to the material via the release period key in the material master record.
Opening period: The opening period represents the number of workdays that are subtracted from the order start date in order to determine the order creation date. This time is used by the MRP controller as a float for converting planned orders into purchase requisitions or into production orders.
Float before production: The float before production represents the number of workdays that are planned as a float between the order start date (planned start date) and the production start date (target start date). On the one hand, this float is intended to guarantee that delays in staging a material do not delay the production start. On the other hand, the production dates can be brought forward by means of the float to cope with capacity bottlenecks.
Float after production: The float after production should provide a float for the production process to cope with any disruptions so that there is no danger that the planned finish date will be exceeded. You plan the float after production between order finish date (planned finish date) and scheduled end (target finish date).
Release period: The release period represents the number of workdays that are subtracted from the order start date in order to determine the production order release. The release period is only relevant for production order management.
Q. What is opening period?
Opening period : The opening period represents the number of workdays that are subtracted from the order start date in order to determine the order creation date. This time is used by the MRP controller as a float for converting planned orders into purchase requisitions or into production orders.
Q. What is SLA ? Service Level Agreements
Service Level Agreements (SLA) define the attributes for service products (for example, maintenance, Hotline) that have been agreed upon with the customer in service contracts. The SLA confirms different parameters, such as response time, availability time and system availability.
Q. What are Basic Dates?
Earliest date for the execution of the production order. This date takes into account the float before production. If, on order creation, a planned order exists for the production order or process order, then the order dates are taken from the planned order. When scheduling the production order the system tries to adhere to the order dates (if necessary, with reduction measures).
- If it is not possible to adhere to the basic dates and if the control parameter in Customizing allows the basic dates to be adjusted, the system adjusts the basic dates of the order during the scheduling run.
- If the control parameter in Customizing does not allow the basic dates to be adjusted, the order keeps the basic dates of the planned order.
- If the production order is created manually, you must enter at least one order date manually.
- The scheduling type determines, which order dates you must enter.
Q. What is planning time fence?
- The planning time fence specifies a period within which no automatic changes are to be made to the master plan.
- The planning time fence is maintained in workdays.
Q. What is Planning Horizon?
In this step, you define the planning horizon. This planning horizon specifies the period for the “Net change planning in the planning horizon”.
In this kind of net change planning, only those materials that have undergone a change that is relevant to MRP within the planning horizon are included in the planning run. Such materials receive a net change planning indicator in the planning file. You make this specification for a plant. You can define an alternative planning horizon for MRP groups
Q. What is Group BOM?
Alphanumeric character string used to uniquely identify a BOM.
If you assign a “meaningful” number to a BOM group, this gives you an additional way of accessing the BOM.
The system stores the following under a BOM group:
- all the alternatives in a multiple BOM
- all the BOMs entered for a variant BOM
Q. What is costing? How it is affected the PP?
Determining the material costs of a product.
When you calculate production costs using a quantity structure, the system automatically determines the BOM and all the BOM items that are relevant to costing, in order to calculate manufacturing costs.
Q. What is meaning of Customized Reports?
The report which is not using SAP standard reports.
Q. In Project the Customization is comes under Which Phase?
Q. How you get the Ticket?
After release order,the reservation will provide the ticke to pick production material.
Q. What are GAPS? Some Examples?
The GAPS are some issue in blue print that SAP cannot capture or prividing the client bussiness process.
Q. What is LSMW?
The LSM Workbench is an SAP System tool that supports you when copying data from non-SAP systems.
Q. After Doing Realization How we will check whether it is working or not?
Doing Final preparation to check using the test case from user.
Q. What do we do in Realization Phase?
Provide ARICEF, Configuration Documents, integration test, BPP, UAT, Unit Test and implements some SAP notes.
Q. How to Move to the Realization Phase?
You must have some blueprints to go in next phase.
Q. In LSMW which is most important Step?
Maintain Object Attributes
Maintain Source Structures
Maintain Source Fields
Maintain Structure Relations
Maintain Field Mapping and Conversion Rules
Maintain Fixed Values, Translations, User-Defined Routines.
Q. What are all the settings done for configuring integration of PP with FICO?
- Do availability check. You will get missing parts list. Procure those missing parts. Then confirm the production order. One more thing you can do, change customize setting so that user cannot release if parts are missing during order release.
- Standard cost is the cost which is fixed for a period, variable cost is varying with period. As for example cost of semi finished, finished materials are fixed & cost of raw materials are varied.
- You will find in master data tab page of production header data overview, CO02 – Read PP Master Data. Also from Functions menu you will get Read PP Master Data. This means that you want the system to re-update the production order with the latest BOM structure.
- Assigning of Cost center to work center. Assigning Activity type to work center, Standard Cost estimate, Costing Run, Order settlement, Product costing.
Q. Can MRP be carried out for one particular level of a bom ( Level code : 0001/0002 etc).
Yes it can be done by running for specific materials (Single Material Single Level)
Q. How Requiements( PIR,Sles Order, Customer Requirement) are reduced after they are produced?
Reqmts are reduced automatically after Delivery is made to the Particular Order
(In case of Strategy 11, the PIRs are consumed after the GR for Production Order)
Q. Can’t one material be assigned to more than one operation in a routing?
One material from a BOM CANNOT be assigned to different Operations.
It can be done by defining the material for so many times as required in the BOM
Q. How to insert an inspection checkpoint at the end of an operation?
If in process sample is to be defined, assign inspection type 03 in the Material Master. Then create MICs and assign them in the Routings. System automatically generates the Inspection Lots
Q. Where we have to specify the teardown time in one operation?
Teardown time can be defined as one of the Standard Parameters…
Q. How the process time is calculated in a WC when both labour, Machine categories exist?
Scheduling is done based on the Capacity Category we define in the Workcenter
Q. How to create opbject dependencies in a BOM FOR A CONFIGURABLE MATERIAL?
Go to Extras -> Object Dependency -> Assign
For this U need to create Characteristics and Class (of Class Type 300) earlier
Q. Can any body explain me why work scheduling view is required for semi finished and finished products?
(Because we’ll mention all details in MRP views)
We need to maintain working scheduling view in order to make that finished or semi finished goods available for production as we assign production scheduler and production scheduler profile in this view, if not maintained conversion of planned order to production will not be possible.