QTP, currently known as UFT (Unified Functional Testing), provides functional and regression test automation for software applications and environments. It has a good demand in the market because of its graphical interface and support to keyword and scripting interfaces. Besides, it is very powerful in test data management, test execution report generation, and object repository. Given these advantages, having QTP knowledge will certainly provide you an edge in landing a suitable job in software testing. Here, we have compiled a bunch of 40 questions to help you perform better in the job interviews.
UFT Interview Questions and Answers
1. What is QTP?
Ans. QTP (Quick Test Professional) is an automated functional testing tool. Using this tool, the testers can carry out automated regression testing to detect any errors or defects in the applications. The tool also compares the actual outcome with the expected result.
2. What is the most important skill required to become an expert in QTP?
Ans. To become a QTP expert, one needs to have logic building ability.
3. What are some of the advantages of the QTP tool?
Ans. Some of the advantages of the QTP tool include:
- Ease of use and navigation
- Validation of results
- Report generation
- Integration with Quality Center test management tool
4. How do you execute multiple QTP scripts automatically?
Ans. We can execute multiple QTP scripts automatically using the Batch Runner tool.
5. What is the Keyword view?
Ans. The Keyword view represents the test in a table form, which contains data, comments, and items, etc.
6. What are the different phases of an automation testing process?
Ans. These phases include - feasibility analysis of test automation, selection of a tool, selection of a suitable framework, creation of proof of concept, development of automation framework, development and execution of test script and analysis of results.
7. What is an Expert view?
Ans. The Expert view is generally used by advanced users. It displays the test data as actual lines of code.
8. What are some of the Excel VBA functions commonly used?
Ans. These include Autofit cel and Coloring cell, etc.
9. What is the Step Generator in QTP?
Ans. The Step Generator is an inbuilt function in QTP, which generates script as the appropriate steps are entered.
10. Without using both the record and system utility script, how can you open a notepad window?
Ans. This can be done by specifying the path of the notepad (location of the note.exe) on the “Windows Applications” Tab, which is in the “Record and Run Settings” window.
11. What is the purpose of OR (Object Repository) In QTP?
Ans. In QTP, the Object Repository contains text fields, radio buttons, images, texts, edit boxes, combo boxes, and lists, etc. With this Object Repository, QTP identifies the objects and acts on them.
12. What is Analog mode? What is its functionality?
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
Ans. The Analog mode is a recording mode in QTP. It records the moments of the mouse and keyboard.
13. Which are the three types of actions in QTP?
Ans. The three types of actions are non-reusable action, reusable action, and external-reusable action.
14. How do data tables help the testers? Which are the different types of data tables?
Ans. The data tables help in creating data-driven test cases, which are used to execute an action multiple times. These types of data tables include local data tables and the global data tables.
15. What for Synchronization Point is used in QTP?
Ans. In a test script, the Synchronization Point defines the delay time between two steps.
16. Which recording mode records the X and Y coordinates of a mouse operation?
Ans. The low-level recording mode records the X and Y coordinates.
17. Which are the properties used by smart identification in QTP?
Ans. The smart identification uses two types of properties including Base Filter Properties and Optional Filter Properties.
18. When is the smart identification mechanism used?
Ans. The smart identification mechanism is used when QTP is not able to identify any object matching the object description. It is also used in a scenario where there is more than one object that matches the recognized object description.
19. Which are the possible error types a tester may encounter in QTP?
Ans. Possible error types include syntax errors, logical errors, and run-time errors.
20. How do you open a read-only Shared Object Repository in QTP?
Ans. We can open a read-only Shared Object Repository by selecting the “Enable Editing” option on “Object Repository Manager”.
21. How do you handle a situation in which unexpected errors occur during the execution of a script?
Ans. In such a situation, we need to use Recovery Scenarios. Once the Recovery Scenario is used, the tests will be recovered, and also the script execution will be continued.
22. What are the different environment variables in QTP?
Ans. The environment variables in QTP are Built-in Environment Variables (Read-Only), User Defined Internal Variables (Read-Only), and User Defined External Variables (Read / Write).
23. How do you modularize the script in QTP?
Ans. We can modularize the script by adding library files to the QTP script.
24. What for the SetSecure method is used in QTP?
Ans. The SetSecure method is used to securely set the text in the password boxes.
25. What do you do if a standard window object is not recognized by QTP in an application that is the undergoing test?
Ans. In this situation, we need to define the object Virtual Object (VO). This helps in the simulation of user actions in the virtual object.
26. QTP doesn’t have any inbuilt support to connect to databases. Then, how can you connect to a database?
Ans. We can connect to databases using ADODB objects of VB Script.
27. What are the different properties of ADODB?
Ans. The properties of ADODB includes ADODB. Connection, ADODB.Command, ADODB.Fields, and ADODB.Recordset.
28. How are the descriptions of the objects created in QTP?
Ans. The descriptions of the objects are created using Descriptive Programming.
29. How can the QTP itself be automated?
Ans. It can be automated using the HP-QTP’s COM interface.
30. What does the Automation Object Model consist of? What purpose does it serve?
Ans. Automation Object Model consists of objects, methods, and properties. Using the Automation Object Model, we can control the configuration settings and also execute the scripts.
31. Shared Object Repository and Per-Action Object Repository are the two types of repositories in QTP? What is the default one between these two? What is the extension of it?
Ans. The default object repository is Per-Action Object Repository. The extension of it is ".mtr”.
32. Which two frameworks are the parts of a combination in the Hybrid Framework?
Ans. The combination of the two frameworks in the Hybrid Framework is Keyword Framework and Data-driven Framework.
33. How do you divide an action in QTP?
Ans. We can divide an action in QTP by using Action Split.
34. Why do you use Object Spy in QTP?
Ans. We can use Object Spy to find the properties, their values, and also the associated methods of an object.
35. Which are the different types of frameworks in QTP?
Ans. The types of frameworks in QTP include Linear Scripting, Test Library Architecture Framework, Data-Driven Testing Framework, Keyword-Driven Framework, and Hybrid Framework.
36. What do you do to check broken links in an application?
Ans. By incorporating Page Checkpoint in the application pages, we can check broken links. It enables us to view the sum of valid and invalid links on a page.
37. Which method in QTP gets the property values of a run-time object?
Ans. The GetRoProperty method fetches the property values.
38. What is an XML checkpoint in QTP?
Ans. An XML checkpoint checks the content of the .xml documents in web pages and frames.
39. What are the advantages of a Data-driven Framework?
Ans. The advantages of Data-driven Framework include generation of less code and development of test data, etc.
40. What is the default recording mode in QTP?
Ans. The default recording mode is Normal recording mode.