Are you unable to decide which language is better - Python or Kotlin? Reading this Kotlin Vs Python article will definitely give you a clear vision of what is best. Here, we would be covering the following topics:
What is Kotlin?
Kotlin is an open-source and statistically typed programming language that runs on JVM and works across various platforms. A language is statistically typed if the variable type is known at compile time rather than run time. It is fully interoperable with Java, very concise and combination of object-oriented and functional programming features.
If you would like to Enrich your career with a Kotlin certified professional, then visit Mindmajix - A Global online training platform: “Kotlin Training” Course. This course will help you to achieve excellence in this domain.
Kotlin is developed by JetBrains, and its first version was released on February 15, 2016. It is used for server-side development, Client-side development and Android development. Now, let’s dive deeper and check out the what advantages Kotlin offers.
Potential Reasons to Use Kotlin:
- Write Less Code - Every developer desires to write the least possible code still accomplish the objective. Kotlin allows writing least code and therefore improves app performance.
- Ease of Adoption - It is very easy to shift work-in-progress Android app code to Kotlin.
- Supports Functional Programming - Kotlin supports functional programming by allowing developers to process task easily and quickly.
- Full Compatibility with Java - Developers can use all Java libraries and framework while coding in Kotlin.
- No Runtime Overhead - Kotlin has a small library and most of the heavy lifting is done at the time of compilation.
- Less Error-prone - Kotlin is less error-prone because the language itself eliminates a few common coding errors, moreover chances of error get reduced when the developer has to write less code.
What is Python?
Python is an object-oriented and high-level programming language that was created by Guido Van Rossum and released in 1991. It can be used for:
- Server-side web development
- Software development
- System Scripting
- Handling big data and performing complex mathematics
Python supports modules and packages and encourages code reusability. Interpreter raises an exception if it finds any exception. In case the program does not catch the exception, an interpreter will print a stack trace.
----- Related Article: Python Tutorial -----
Reasons to use python
- Third-Party Modules Availability - Python package Index contains third-party modules to promote the interaction with several languages and platforms.
- Extensive Support Libraries - Python has a large standard library that includes internet protocols, string operations, operating system interfaces, and web services. Often used programming tasks are already scripted in the library which reduces the unnecessary work of writing.
- Open Source and Community Development - Python language is developed under an OSI approved license which is free to use and distribute including commercial purpose.
- User-friendly Data Structures - Python has a built-in list of data structure which helps construct data structure at a faster rate during runtime.
- Productivity and Speed - Python has object-oriented design, test processing capabilities and its own testing framework, all of which contribute to the better speed and productivity.
----- Related Article: Python Interview Questions -----
Kotlin Vs Python
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
|Description||It is a widely used high-level programming language||Kotlin is a statistically typed language with OOP and FP paradigm|
|Development Principles||Python Zen||
Behaviour driven development
JinjaAdobe Flash Support
Django Template System
|Influences||C, C++, Java, Perl, Smalltalk||Java, Scala, Gosu, C#, Python, Object Pascal, Groovy|
|Adobe Flash Support||Yes||No|
|Scripting Language Support||Python||Kotlin|
|Free to Use||Yes||Yes|
|Unsafe Code Support||No||Yes|
|Operating System Server||Cross-Platform||Android|
|Programs||Visual Studio Code||Intellij Idea|
|Manual Memory Management||Yes||No|
Is Kotlin Better Than Python?
If you are already having a perfectly adequate programming language like Python, then why would you need to learn Kotlin? Indeed, Python is great and loved by the developers but there are use cases where Python is just not a perfect match.
Python is the best dynamic language but it is worth learning a statistically typed language. Large projects demand the rigour of a statically typed language, Kotlin can provide that rigour with no drawbacks such as verbose syntax.
Learning Kotlin will teach you more about coding. Python is not suitable for writing small programs for end users but with Kotlin you can do so and get a better solution.
Kotlin is more loved by developers and is enriched with all the bases missed by Python. It is not like everyone needs to stop coding in Python but having Kotlin as an additional language will help us target more solutions and use cases where Python is not best at.
If you are a Python programmer and interested in learning a new language that has demand in the market, then Kotlin is the strongest contender. That was all about Kotlin Vs Python. We hope the provided information was useful to you.
In case you have any doubt, please let us know in the comment section.