Mindmajix as a team has got enough questions from the trainees who got their Performance Testing Training and cracked interviews at various MNCs around the world and successfully placed. From the collection of Performance Testing Interview questions, the following are the most common questions we got are listed to make it easy for those who are willing to crack the interview with ease. All the answers to those were written by our professional experienced trainers and are tailored to meet the concepts expected by the interviewer.
Want to Become a Master in Testing? Visit Here Performance Testing Training
Top 50 Performance Testing Interview Questions
Q1) What is the need for doing a performance test?
Ans: In order to evaluate performances that are applications based we need performance testing. These evaluations are performed under certain stress and load conditions. The response time that is related to the activity of users is generally used for measuring performance testing. The entire system is tested at a high condition of stress and load.
Q2) Mention the various types of performance testing?
Ans: There are three types of performance testing which are listed below.
1. Load performance testing: This type of testing is utilized when the user wants to analogue to testing that is volume related. And it is also used for determining how to do application work with a huge amount of data.
2. Stress performance testing: Applications are examined on the basis of their behaviour during peak activity bursts.
3. Capacity performance testing: The entire capacity of the system is measured and also it helps in detailing at what time the response time will become unacceptable.
Q3) Mention the tools that are used for doing performance testing?
Ans: These are the best tools for performance testing.
- QA Load (Compuware): This type of tool is used for performing load tests of database, web and also a Char-based system.
- Load Runner (HP): This type of tool is used for web and various other kinds of applications. Various kinds of platforms, database and application environment is provided by this. In order to do an evaluation of the measurements of the performance of every component and also to the acknowledgement bottlenecks, it is used.
- Web load (Rad view): This tool is used for comparing test metrics and running tests.
- Rational performance tester (IBM): In order to identify the causes and presence of the performance system this tool is used.
- Silk performer (Borland): Predictions of the behaviour of e-business can be done with the help of this tool. These predictions are made before the deployment is done. And also the predictions are made the concerns of complexity and size.
Q4) How to correlate and parameterization in load runner?
Ans: Correlation is done for the dynamic values or the values returned from the server for any request. Parameterization differs from correlation, in which the former takes care of static data which is usually entered by the user.
Dynamic values: The value defined by the server for example sessions ids, session states and date values and so on
Static values: The values entered by users like passwords, usernames, and card details, etc
Q5) What are the sub-genres of the performance test?
Ans: The sub-genres are described below.
- Load testing: The performance testing that is done in order to examine applications performance that is based on a load that is specified and expected is termed as Load testing. The increment of load can be done by increasing the quantity of user who is performing a specified work within a specified time limit.
- Volume testing: This test is performed in order to find the quantity of data that can be handled effectively and efficiently by a system.
- Stress testing: this test is performed in order to make an evaluation of the performance of the system by increasing the number of users than the requirements. This is done in order to check at which level the application might crash.
- Spike testing: This test is used to sterling what will happen if suddenly there is a huge increase or decrease in the number of users of the application system.
- Soak testing: When there is a great deal of load for a long time on the application system then soak testing is performed to determine the behavior of the application in terms of response time and stability.
Q6) Define performance tuning?
Ans: In order to make improvements in the performance of the system performance tuning is used and there are two types.
- Hardware tuning: To replace, add or optimize components of hardware of the application system this kind of tuning is utilized. And also to make improvements in the performance of the system, changes are done with the help of hardware tuning on the level of infrastructure.
- Software tuning: This tuning is helpful when it comes to identifying the bottlenecks of a software level. These identifications are done with the help of profiling the database and code. With the help of this tuning, modifications are made to the software in order to rectify the bottlenecks.
Q7) What do you mean by concurrent user hits in case of load test?
Ans: There may arise a situation when more than one user will hit on the same event of the application during load testing and this situation is referred to as concurrent user hit. There is the addition of these concurrency points. This is done so that the virtual multiple users would be able to work in a single event of application.
Q8) Why do the users need to do performance testing?
Ans: Performance testing is a very good platform because of the following reasons.
- It is used to verify the application's response time for the user's numbers which is intended.
- It also provides the capacity of load testing of the application to its maximum level.
- It also provided the facility for managing the transaction quantity.
- Under both unexpected and expected load of the user, application stability is provided.
- It also makes sure that response time is provided to the users properly during production.
Q9) Mention the reasons why load testing in the automated form is performed?
Ans: There were certain disadvantages of Manual load testing which are described below.
- There was no accuracy regarding the measurements of the application's performance.
- It was also very difficult to perform synchronization among users.
- Also, there is a need for the number of users of real-time in case of performance testing.
- Also, manual testing will cause an increment in the cost of infrastructure.
- Due to these above-mentioned disadvantages of load testing in the form of manual procedure, automated testing is performed.
Q10) In case of performance testing, mention the entering and exiting criteria?
Ans: The starting of the performance testing is done at the design level only. After the testing is done, results are collected and later they are analyzed in order to make improvements regarding the performance. During the whole process of life cycle development, performance tuning is done and the factors on which it is based are scalability and reliability during the presence of the load, application release time and tolerance criteria of performance and stress.
Q11) How is it possible to identify situations related to performance bottlenecks?
Ans: Through the process of monitoring application that to against the stress and load conditions, bottlenecks can be identified. Also, there is the requirement of load runner. Load runner is required since various kinds of monitors are provided by it like that of the monitor of the web resource, firewall monitor, runtime monitor, database server and network delay.
Q12) List the activities which are performed during performance testing?
Ans: The activities are:
- Creation of user scenarios
- Distribution of users
- Application dry run
Implementation of the load test, the collection of results and then analyzing of results
Q13) What is JMeter?
Ans: It is another java tool which is used for performance load testing. It can analyze and measure the performance of a variety of services with a focus on a web application. Its architecture is based on plugins. The last version of Apache JMeter is 3.3.we can also run JMeter with Jenkins.
Q14) Mention the steps required in JMeter to create a performance test plan. And explain how one can execute Spike testing in Jeter?
Ans: In order to create a performance test plan in JMeter
- Add thread group
- Add JMeter elements
- Add Graph result
- Run the test and get the result
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
In JMeter, Spike testing may have done by using the Synchronizing timer. The threads are jammed by synchronizing the timer until a certain number of threads have been clogged and then released at once, creating a large instantaneous load.
Q15) What are the common mistakes that are done during the performance testing?
Ans: The common mistakes that are generally committed during Performance Testing are:-
- Direct jump to multi-user tests
- Test results not validated
- unknown workload details
- Too small run duration
- Lacking long duration sustainability test
- Confusion on definite of Concurrent users
- a significant difference between test and production environment
- Network bandwidth not stimulated
- Underestimating performance testing schedules
- Incorrect extrapolation of pilots
- Inappropriate base-lining of configurations.
Q16) List out some common performance bottlenecks?
Ans: Some common performance bottlenecks include:
- CPU Utilization
- Memory Utilization
- Networking Utilization
- S limitation
- Disk Usage
Q17) What is Neo load?
Ans: Neo load is a tool by which the performance of the web or mobile application is measured. It is a stress and load testing tool. It provides programmatic solutions to the developers to help them optimize the performance before the application goes into production. It is available in French and English. It's a type of load testing tool.
Q18) What is Correlate graph and overlay graph?
Correlate Graph: The Y-axis if both the graphs are plotted against each it herb. After this, the Y-axis of the graph that is active is considered to be the X-axis of the graph that is merged. Henceforth, the graph that was merged the Y-axis of that graph becomes the Y-axis merged.
Overlay Graph: Plot two graphs that contain the same x-axis. Left Y-axis in the merged graph shows the current value of graph. Right Y-axis shows the value of the Y-axis of the graph that was merged.
Q19) What is spike testing and soak testing?
Spike testing: Spike testing is the change that happens to the application when an abruptly large number of users increased or decreased.
Soak testing: Soak testing is used to know the behaviour of the application when we apply the load for a longer time or for a long period. What happens to the stability(the nature of the application) and the response time of the application is stand by this process.
Q20) What do you mean by baseline testing?
Ans: Baseline testing is performed on the application before coming to any conclusion. It is also an indication of what has to do in the next stage of the application. A majority of issues can be solved by this. It is a baseline that can form the base of any construction, calculation, and measurement.
Q21) What do you know about distributed testing?
Ans: The procedure that helps in performing application testing in case of the number of users who are gaining access to the application simultaneously is defined as distributed testing.
Q22) Define throughput in case of performance testing?
Ans: Throughput is defined as the quantity of data that is sent to the client by the server at a stipulated interval of time. This is the respond of the server to the request of the client.
Q23) Name the phases of the performance test?
Ans: The phases of performance test:
- Design or planning
- Execution and
- Tuning and analyzing
Q24) Mention the phases of the life cycle of testing?
1. Planning of tests
2. Development of tests
3. Execution of tests
4. Analysis of results
5. Tracking defection and
Q25) Differentiate between baseline testing and benchmark testing?
Baseline testing: In this process, certain test sets are run in order to get information regarding performance.
Benchmark testing: With the help of this process, the comparison is made between the performance of your system with a standard industry system.
Q26) What are the main advantages of testing that are Windows based?
Q27) What are the points that testing of web-based is concerned with?
- Page text
- A user interface that is graphical
- Response time
- Links that are broken in pages of the web
Q28) What is desktop testing?
Ans: This is a standalone form of testing as it does not depend on the applications that are being executed on some other machines.
Q29) Mention any two tools of web testing?
Ans: Web testing tools:
- Selenium which is used for web application
- JMeter which is used for performance and load testing
Q30) Mention four bugs of Web testing?
Ans: Web testing bugs:
- Issues that are related to application navigation
- Issues related to functionality
- Issues related to GUI and Cosmetic
Q31) What do you mean by profiling in case of performance testing?
Ans: The process with the help of which in miniature level performance bottleneck are identified is known as profiling.
Q32) What is performance testing?
Ans: Process of analyzing performances of system resources and their functionality under certain workload conditions results in differences in their performance. This non-functional technique of testing system performance is known as Performance Testing.
Q33) What are the performance test activities to be done?
- Requirement gathering
- Tool selection
- Performance test plan
- Performance test development
- Performance test modelling
- Test Execution
Note: The above listed activities may vary according to the type of application you test for.
Q34) Life cycle of testing?
Ans: Plan, Develop, Execute and Analyse are the phases of testing.
Q35) What are the types of techniques available to test performance?
Ans: Performance of systems can be measured by considering load, stress, soak and spike testings.
Q36) What is load testing in performance testing?
Ans: While working with systems that include transactions with a load on servers or databases results vary in their performances. This is monitored to observe what kind of load is responsible for downgrade or upgrade of system performance.
Q37) What is load tuning?
Ans: Load tuning is a method of improving performance by applying necessary modifications to the software. This load tuning can be performed by developers based on the load testing reports submitted by the performance testers. This process of fixing software issues is known as software tuning.
Q38) What is volume testing?
Ans: Application is tested to know how much amount of data can be handled during the core execution of the application with a good number of users accessing concurrently, defines Volume testing.
Q39.) What is the throughput?
Ans: While lead testing, the amount of requests handled by the server or the amount of data served by the application per defined time gives throughput of the application. Throughput is defined in different ways, like bits per second, reports per year, requests handled per day, etc.
Q40) What is the protocol?
Ans: Method of executing predefined instructions in order to make two systems interact or information exchange is defined as protocol. Protocols are recommended to improve the load and performance handling of the application.
Q41) What is stress testing in performance testing?
Ans: In order to now the system performance when the load is maintained consistently at the system’s upper limit of maximum capacity, the performance results are analyzed to know how far the resources can sustain the upper limit with good performance as expected.
Q42) What is Soak testing in performance testing?
Ans: Expecting a continual increase in the load, system resources are monitored with their performances getting affected with load increase. In the due course of the time any data leak is monitored and the memory management is observed to make sure, performance does not affect any of the memory constraints and no data loss happens.
Q43) What is the Spike testing in performance testing?
Ans: Spike testing is used to test the performance of the system when the number of users keeps on increasing with a large number with the same resources available to serve the number of users. This will help to understand how many users can the system successfully handle their requests without loss in its performance or any issues.
Q44) What is the Benchmark in performance testing?
Ans: It is a kind of load testing performed on part of the application of complete application with the varied load to monitor performance changes. It is repeated until there exists a very minor percentage of difference in the measurements noted from the earlier tests.
Q45) What are the baseline tests?
Ans: It is a method of verifying or validating the reports submitted by performance testers that need to be addressed by developing a team. A baseline test is done before any action to be taken to improve the performance that was observed low while testing. On successful completion of baselines tests, more than eighty percent of the issues can be recovered.
Q46) List some commercial testing tools?
Ans: Silk Performer, QALoad, WebLoad, LoadRunner, Rational Performance Tester are few testing tools by various providers.
Q47) What is concurrent user hits in the load testing?
Ans: It is the number of users requested/accessed server and got successfully processed their requests until there is a certain change observed in the performance. In general, there exists performance degrades while the number of users trying to access concurrently as the load increases.
Q48) How can you identify performance test use cases for any application?
Ans: Testing is done to measure the performance for every action performed. And these actions have to be noted that will help you engineer the performance. There exist certain measures to be considered while monitoring these performance tests, like users have to be working on the core functionality of the application, trying to perform operations on database like CRUD, and the number of users trying to concurrently access the application should be more. With all these criteria, even manual test cases can help you in identifying the performance measurements.
Q49) Differentiate performance testing and performance engineering?
Ans: The process of identifying the issues that disturb the performance of any application is performance testing whereas, improving the performance of the application by observing the measurements got from the performing testing by necessary changes in terms of architecture, resources, implementation, etc is performance engineering.
Q50) What is spike testing in performance testing?
Ans: Spike testing is a method of performance testing where a system is applied with a drastic change in the user base and load on the application to test the performance. Spike testing helps you find whether a system can handle the drastic changes occur on the application when there is a sudden increase or decrease of the user base of their operations.
Q51) What are the key elements to consider while performance testing?
- Reasons for failure
- The difference in the measurements with previous test results.
- New actions defined that is responsible for performance change
- Make sure to document every test result for better analysis.
- Recommended points to include in the result document are:
- Aim behind test
- Number of users
- Scenario used
- Time is taken to complete the test
- Response time
- Graphs and their changes with earlier reports
- Possible errors
- Error detected