For the past few years, Project management has been one of the most profitable and in-demand career options. The future is undoubtedly bright for the field, and it is not slowing down.
If you are an aspiring project manager, choosing the right project management certification is an important decision. You are always trying to upgrade your skills, enhance your productivity, gain some experience, and mainly, get a certificate. Industry-recognized certifications give project managers a significant advantage over non-certified professionals.
Both the Project Management Professional (PMP) and PRINCE2 certifications hold a high reputation in the field. But the question is: which one is right for you? What are the factors to consider?
In this article, we cover an in-depth overview of PMP and PRINCE2 certifications, their differences, benefits, career prospects, and so much more. Read on to find out what is the right choice for your career.
Prince2 vs PMP - Table of content
- About PMP and prince2
- Prince2 and PMP: Framework process
- Differences between PMP and Prince2
- PMP vs Pince2 which one is more difficult
- PMP and Prince2 certification details
- Project Management career prospects
- PMP vs Prince2 exam details
- PMP vs Prince2 salary prospects
Prince2 vs PMP
Project management includes planning, organizing, motivating, and controlling the available resources to achieve the organization’s objectives. The challenge is to reach the project goals considering its scope, time, quality, and cost.
About PMP and Prince2
PMP, which stands for "Project Management Professional," is a widely popular certification among project management professionals. The PMI (Project Management Institute) in Philadelphia, USA, is a not-for-profit membership association administered PMP.
The PMBOK ( Project Management Body of Knowledge ) guide called the "bible" for project managers worldwide. Its 6th edition was published in September 2017.
[Related article: About PMP]
PRINCE2 stands for "PRojects IN Controlled Environments." Currently, Axelos, UK, owns the PRINCE2 certification.
PRINCE2 project management is a process-based methodology used for productive project management. Its official manual called "Managing successful projects with PRINCE2,” is helpful for practitioners.
Prince2 and PMP: Framework process
PMP project management framework process
The PMP project management framework process consists of the following steps:..
PRINCE2 project management framework process
The PRINCE2 project management framework process consists of the following steps:
- Stage control
- Stage boundary management
- Product delivery management
What are the differences between PMP and PRINCE2?
|Basis of Comparison||PRINCE2||PMP|
||United Kingdom||The United States of America.|
|Owner||Axelos, UK, owns PRINCE2.||The Project Management Institute (PMI), USA, administers PMP.|
|Purpose in Project||PRINCE2 answers the||PMP answers the How?|
|Management||What/When/Who questions of Project Management.||Questions of Project Management.|
|Methodology||PRINCE2 follows a process-based methodology.||PMP follows a knowledge-based methodology.|
|Exam guidelines||The PMI site has the PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) Guide's 6th edition. Also, it has standard and practice frameworks|
|Frameworks||PRINCE2 has a prescriptive framework based on the best practices in the project environment.||PMP has a descriptive framework based on knowledge areas like scope, schedule, cost, etc.|
|Organization||PRINCE2 includes an integrated set of themes and processes. It also has seven mandatory principles.||PMP includes ten knowledge areas. It refers to mastering a specific project management knowledge.|
|Project roles||PRINCE2 has well-defined project roles||PMP emphasizes the role of a project manager.|
||Widely popular in the UK, Australia, and most European regions.||Widely popular in the USA, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, and some parts of Asia.|
PMP vs. PRINCE2: Which one is more difficult?
PMP certification is more complicated than PRINCE2. It requires a minimum of 7,500 hours plus a secondary degree. Alternatively, it requires 4,500 hours and a 4-year degree.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
On the other hand, you can get the PRINCE2 Foundation certification by only passing the exam.
PMP and Prince2 certification details
What are the benefits of getting a PMP certification?
The benefits include:
- Certified PMP professionals have better salary prospects. They get more significant, and frequent pay raises.
- There are more networking opportunities.
- There are better employment prospects for certified PMP professionals.
Let's look at the different certifications PMP offers.
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Program Management Professional (PgMP)
- Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
What are the benefits of getting a PRINCE2 certification?
The benefits include:
- Certified PRINCE2 professionals gain extensive knowledge in the project management areas.
- PRINCE2 has a transparent laid-out methodology.
- There is no confusion while executing projects due to standard approaches.
- You get a better salary and employability prospects.
Let's look at the different certifications PRINCE2 offers.
PRINCE2 (2009) offers project management certifications at three levels.
1. Foundation: The foundation level is the basic level in project management certification.
2. Practitioner: The practitioner level is significantly valued in the field and is an intermediate level in project management certification.
3. Professional: The professional level in project management certification is a tough one.
The various certifications offered by PRINCE2 are:
|PRINCE2 2009||Certification for Project Management|
|PRINCE2 2017||Certification for Project Management with customizations including Agile|
|PRINCE2 Agile||Certification based on an agile methodology to provide PM solutions|
|AgileSHIFT||Certification that provides an enterprise agility solution|
|MSP||Program Management Certification|
|P3O||Project, Program, and Portfolio|
||IT Service Management based on ITIL framework|
What are the project management career prospects?
The PMI reports state that we can expect significant job growth for project-oriented roles.
The below graph shows the statistics for the project-oriented job requirements by 2027 as compared to 2017.
The career prospects’ increase comes with its challenges, which must be addressed by aspiring project managers. Therefore, it is quite clear that recognized certifications for project management are essential for a fulfilling career.
[Related Article: Prince2 interview questions and answers]
PMP vs PRINCE2 exam details
What are the eligibility criteria for the PMP vs. PRINCE2 exams?
To apply for PMP certification, you must have:
A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate's degree, or a global equivalent)
A minimum of 5 years of professional project management experience
A minimum of 7,500 hours spent on leading a project
35 contact hours of formal education
There is another alternative set of prerequisites to apply for PMP certification:
A four-year degree (bachelor's degree or a global equivalent)
A minimum of 3 years of professional project management experience
A minimum of 4,500 hours spent on leading a project
35 contact hours of formal education
There are no prerequisites required for Axelos. But having some project management experience and proper training is recommended.
However, the requirement is to have at least one of the PRINCE2 certifications to be qualified.
How do you register?
- You can register for the exam on the PMI website.
- Fill in and submit the application form.
- Pay the exam fee with the payment link shared by PMI after applying.
- You can then select the preferred exam centre and schedule for the examination.
PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner
You can register with any of the below two methods:
- Attend an exam at the end of a training course with an Accredited Training Organization (ATO) or
- Study privately and then book an exam without a training course with PeopleCert, an Axelos PRINCE2 Examination Institute.
What is the validity of the certifications?
- PMP Certification: It is valid for up to 3 years.
- PRINCE2 Foundation: It has no expiration period.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner: It is valid for up to 3 years. However, if you are a certified PRINCE2 practitioner, you can enrol in the PRINCE2 subscription to maintain your certificate.
PMP vs PRINCE2: Salary prospects
Certified professionals in project management earn higher salaries than their non-certified competitors. Having a recognized certification, like PMP and PRINCE2, shows that the individual has good knowledge of project management.
According to the PMI Project Management Salary Survey, the average salary of a certified PMP is $112,000 per year in the U.S. Certified practitioners earn 20% more than non-certified practitioners.
Both PMP and PRINCE2 are valuable certifications in project management. PMP follows a knowledge-based methodology, while PRINCE2 follows a process-based one. If you want to excel in the project management field, you can gain exposure to both certifications. Therefore, to become a globally valued and proficient project manager, you can opt for both.