No matter the size of an organization, it has to go with the flow of documentation process where we create, organize, and manage the documents that run the organization smoothly. This process is maintained by Document Management System (DMS). DMS plays an essential role in an organization that helps to organize the documents that make it easy to find and edit the required document or information.
Interested in learning SharePoint? Enroll in our SharePoint Online Training now!
Several document management platforms are available in the market, which can be chosen as per the requirement in this Top 15 open-source DMS Tools in detail.
let’s take a look at the topics that are discussed in this article:
- What is a Document Management System?
- Why do we need DMS?
- Top 15 Open-source DMS Tools
What is a Document Management System?
Document Management System is the process where the system and software are used to store, maintain, and track the electronic documents and images. Document management system as a software organizes and controls the documents across the organization. It includes document repositories, content capture, information retrieval systems, workflow, COLD/ERM, and output systems.
DMS provides the most basic functions to impose controls, management capability, and content management.
Features of Document management system
The key features of Document management system are as follows:
- Check-in, check-out, and document locking to coordinate the document editing to ensure one person’s editing cannot be overwritten by another person.
- An audit trail is used to allow the revise who worked on which document during the document life cycle.
- Roll-back is used to activate the prior version in case of error document release.
- A version control system is an essential feature in the Document Management System(DMS); it provides tabs to track how the current document and how it differs from the versions that came before.
Why do we need DMS?
Document Management System (DMS) helps to save lots of time in search of documents and versions, as it helps to organize the documents. Depending on the solution required, a DMS can retrieve documents using a word or phrase used in the document. DMS also allows us to access documents remotely. It comes with an intuitive interface to store, manage and track files in a free manner. The electronic document management software helps to get rid of storing physical documents and saves lots of storage space.
Top 15 Open-source DMS Tools
Let’s dig into the Top open-source DMS Tools.
First in the list is Bitrix24, that provides users document management solution both on-premise and in the cloud and can move your setup to a private server whenever it is required to access its source code. It offers a complete suite of communication and management tools for the team that includes files sharing, CRM, calendars, time management, and more.
It keeps track of activities that enables us to chat individually and in groups, automate your marketing strategies, design website landing pages with high conversion rates, and manage our projects and tasks using Gantt.
Features of Bitrix24
The features of Bitrix24 are as follows:
- Bitrix24 supports and works on both iOS and Android.
- It provides both on-premise and cloud server storage
- It offers free backups regularly
- Bitrix24 enables us to collaborate better with our team.
#2. Google Docs
Second, is Google Docs, which is the most popular free document management system that is available in the market. It is a cloud-based software that allows us to maintain all the documents on its cloud interface. Google Docs enables us to achieve control over all the documents and manage them to give the utmost efficiency. It offers smart writing and editing the documents with hundreds of fonts and styles.
Features of Google Docs
The features of Google Docs are as follows:
- In Google Docs, the voice typing feature enables us to edit and format text in the document.
- Clear formatting is used to clear the format using the document.
- Google docs also allow us to restore the version of the document using the revision history feature.
- It allows us to add a link instead of adding a URL as a bookmark.
- While reviewing the document, we can add comments and even we can tag someone in the comments.
Next DMS tool is Igloo that enables organizations to evolve into the digital workplace. It provides features such as forums, read tracking, subscriptions, broadcasts, calendars, and Wikis. As Igloo is Azure cloud-based platform, it focuses on solving problems over collaboration, communication, knowledge management, culture and engagement.
Features of Igloo
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
The Igloo platform provides the following best features:
- An intuitive drag-and-drop interface makes it easy for even non-technical people to configure solutions and publish content.
- It helps to store, embeds rich-media files, manages and shares easily from the digital workplace or third party sites.
- Easy bulk upload, move files or folders, and download is easy with a drag-and-drop feature.
- Easy for the user to login to our digital workplace with SSO, Igloo, LDAP, and Authentication.
- It makes it easy to keep track of reminders, requests, and do’s for all the projects.
- Both user and system-generated content can be translated into several languages to support end-users all over the world.
Learn more in this SharePoint Tutorial Now!
Next in the list is Kimios, which is an open-source document management system used to store, create, track, and edit the documents. It offers smart digital workflow and document control. Kimios is primarily used for busy departments such as accounts, Quality services, Human Resources, etc. with documentation flowing in and out regularly.
Features of Kimios
The following are the features of Kimios:
- Kimios document management software enables the user to create, share, and edit documents directly from any browser.
- It supports all types of content, such as images, 3D objects, text, video, and many more.
- Easy integration with Microsoft Office.
- With the help of Kimios, users can access all the features of DMS such as create, edit documents, upload and systemise documents, and collaborate with other users remotely.
- Also, Kimios interface has a mobile version that allows users to access documents whenever with smartphones easily.
#5. Krystal DMS
Krystal DMS is another highly innovative web-based DMS Software that enables users to install, configure, and use the system easily. It offers advanced features such as detailed audit, multilingual support, and indexing that help the user to manage documents efficiently. Krystal DMS allows users to manage and process valuable and sensitive documents.
Features of Krystal DMS
Let’s check out a few features of Krystal DMS.
- Krystal DMS is available in 3 different versions- Standard, Enterprise, and Premium versions that satisfy the requirements of the user.
- It provides adequate security and access to maintain documents across the organization.
- It provides the proper workflow management features.
- Advanced search, version control, OCR capabilities, and indexing are the available features in Krystal DMS.
Related Blog: [Top SharePoint Features - You Must Know In 2020]
#6. Logical Docs
Next in the list is Logical Docs, that offers various features and makes it easy to manage documents, even files and folders. This open-source is a high-performance, intuitive document management system that provides the power of enterprise document management from medium to large organizations. It enables users to create, coordinate, and co-author any number of documents.
Features of Logical Docs
The features of Logical Docs are as follows:
- The community edition is provided with the GNU license, and it is free to download.
- It supports multilingual web interface, desktop, and full-text indexing capabilities.
- It enables users to import from ZIP archives.
- It provides excellent security policies and has an internal messaging system.
- Logical Docs integrates with HTML Editor and digital watermarking features.
#7. Mayan EDMS
Mayan EDMS is also a highly in-built electronic DMS software that enables the user to run a program in Python and works on the Django web application framework. It provides highly advanced workflow management that allows users to manage documents easily. Mayan EDMS is also available in professional and community versions.
Features of Mayan EDMS
The following are the features of Mayan EDMS:
- Mayan EDMS provides API documentation and supports all kinds of files.
- The professional edition of Mayan EDMS offers extensive support and advanced features.
- It enables the user to manage groups and members easily.
- Retention policies to set compliance with the existing company policies and laws.
- It allows the user to restore documents that are moved to trash.
- It offers automatic rule-based links and references.
Read these latest SharePoint interview questions that helps you grab high-paying jobs!
Next in the list is M-Files, which manages information with the help of metadata. It is an AI-based open-source document management system that can support on-premises, cloud-based, and hybrid models. This tool is used to track the document versions and can access the content efficiently. M-Files is used for corporations who are looking for an unconventional document management system for an accessible working environment.
Features of M-Files
The following are the features of M-Files:
- M-Files supports Office 365, Salesforce, and Google G Suite for data sourcing.
- It is an Artificial Intelligence-based tool used for information management.
- It supports collaboration and annotation tools.
- M-Files can access rights based on metadata.
- Uses Automation for tasks that are possible with workflows.
Nuexo is one of the most popular and open-source document management systems. It is an intelligent DMS that enables users to create and maintain any document effortlessly. Nuexo is the best platform for content services. It offers advanced features that help the user to use easily.
Features of Nuexo
The Features of Nuexo are as follows:
- Nuexo offers advanced metadata tools and supports native workflow.
- It offers users to integrate with various other productivity apps such as Google Docs, Office 365, etc.
- It supports all kinds of documents.
- It enables the user to create storyboards.
- Nuexo provides insights on driving intelligent predictions.
- It allows deploying applications with unlimited flexibility with the cloud.
#10. Open Doc Man
Next in the list is the most popular DMS tool which is Open Doc Man. It is an open-source and web-based document management software written in PHP. Open Doc Man allows the user to create custom properties for the documents. It even offers robust indexing and security features. As it is a web-based software, it is compatible with MySQL5 database.
Features of Open Doc Man
The following are the features of Open Doc Man:
- Open Doc Man supports multiple operating systems such as Mac Os X, Linux, Windows, Unix, and Windows Vista.
- It supports several kinds of files.
- Easy to set up and use.
- It allows the user to integrate with the existing business rules to manage documents.
- The best features are, it provides fine-grained control of access to files or documents and automated upgrades and installs.
#11. Open KM
OpenKM is another most popular DMS tool that integrates with all the essential document management, advanced search functions, and collaboration into easy to use solutions. It is similar to JAVA and works well with all browsers such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
OpenKM allows the user to set different logics and rules to automate the process of documentation. It supports various kinds of files such as text, PDF, JPEG, XMS, office, etc.
Features of OpenKM
The features of OpenKM are as follows:
- OpenKM helps to manage digital content, provides high efficiency, and simplifies the workload easily.
- It improves the decision-making capabilities and boosts the productivity of the workgroups and enterprise easily with OpenKM software.
- It collects and controls key and sensitive information.
- It enables the user to collaborate with colleagues on documents and projects at any time.
- OpenKM stores and manages the documents.
#12. Panda Docs
Panda Docs is an open-source Document Management System that is intended for the Sales team of medium-sized and large-sized corporates. It offers functions to automate all the documents that are related to the sales process. Panda Docs helps the user to create contracts, quotes, and proposals. It enables users to make digital signatures on the document.
Features of Panda Docs
The features of Panda Docs are as follows:
- Panda Docs offers integration with CRM Softwares such as HubSpot, Salesforce, Zoho, etc.
- It provides the user with UETA and ESIGN compliant eSignatures.
- Drive integration with Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive
- It allows the user to make a payment from the contract document itself.
- It provides excellent support on personalization and documentation of documents.
- Expedited invoicing by integrated account using APIs and Zapier.
Next comes Pinpoint from LSSP corporation, which allows users to access files and information from any web browser on any device such as smartphone and Tablet. Pinpoint is a cloud-based DMS that can be accessed anywhere. Pinpoint enables the user to provide an automatic filling to the document with its in-built Automated Robot Integration Explorer (ARIE). It even makes it easy for the organization to communicate with the workflows, compliances, retention policies, and Audit process.
Features of PinPoint
The features of PinPoint are as follows:
- It integrates with Salesforce, Microsoft suite, QuickBooks, etc. easily.
- Pinpoint has a strong search feature with OCR Content Manager.
- It offers customization with document types, folders, workflows, cabinets, and meets the requirements of an organization.
- It provides a REST API Suite to explore available integrations.
- Pinpoint updates the software regularly to keep the system updated.
The Second last tool is SeedDms, which is a free document management system with an easy to use web-based User Interface for small and medium-sized organizations. It is written in PHP and SQLLite3 or MySQL and runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux. SeedDMS is an enterprise-ready document scanning software that is used to share and store documents. As it is a highly advanced User interface, it adapts easily according to the device screen size.
Features of SeedDMS
The features of SeedDMS are as follows:
- SeedDMS provides fine-grained notification on changes.
- It provides a workflow for document review and approval process.
- It supports metadata such as description, arbitrary attributes, author, and keywords.
- It can maintain a multi-level content directory that supports more than 32,000 documents.
- It supports standard file types such as MS Word, PDF, MS Excel that can be indexed for full-text scratch.
#15. Vienna Advantage
Last in the list is Vienna Advantage, which is an enterprise-level open-source CRM/ERP with an in-built Business Intelligence system and Document management system. It is available both on-premise and cloud and is best suited for small, medium, large-sized corporate, and governments.
Vienna Advantage offers the most powerful workflow tools in the market that allows the user to design any workflow without coding and technical skill. The in-built BI includes well-designed dashboards and reports. Also, the documents are securely integrated with ERP and CRM Solutions and provide great automation level and highly secure encryption of documents. Let’s see its features.
Features of Vienna Advantage
The features of Vienna Advantage are as follows:
- Vienna Advantage provides highly secure encryption and decryption documents.
- It offers in-built document input, indexing, processing, and search services.
- It is a user-friendly interface that is easy to learn and use.
- Vienna Advantage upgrades the ERP system to the latest version and maintains customizations safe and secure.
- It is ultimately a web-based solution without limitations and can access anywhere.
On a closing note, documents are the most important assets of any organizations. Storing, securing, and accessing documents requires systematic, authenticate, and easy platform to maintain. The above listed DMS tools are open-source and provide best features that apt with your organization. I hope you find relevant information.