Introduction To DevOps Docker
What is DevOps?
It is an abbreviation of development and operations. It is a software engineering practice that aims to combine software development (Dev) and software operations (Ops) in an organization to improve the relationship between two business units.
Download Free Interview Questions Here.
What is Docker?
The previous article on Docker gives all the details about Docker software and its architecture. In this article, we will learn about DevOps and Docker with DevOps.
What is Docker DevOps?
Toptal explained the Docker DevOps concept with a transportation of goods we generally deploy. The picture depicts the improved transportation we imply for transporting the good from ancient times.
Iamge Source: Toptal
We use Ship containers as they can carry heavy loads cheaply and more secure making the transportation worry free about their goods and focus on getting them to transfer from A to B.
Interested To Learn Devops Training? Enroll now for FREE Demo On Devops Training.
Now, let’s consider a software process. The time taken by software company from requirement analysis whiteboard diagram to finally a paying customer feature to the end user is called as “ lead time” just like transforming the good from A to B. All we want is this transformation to happen in a shortened time. That means the lead time has to decrease. One can achieve this short lead time by following three main principles. They are:
- Increasing the “velocity” of each process component working in the software.
- Decrease the “variation” of waiting by eliminating unwanted time-consuming subprocesses in the pipeline.
- You elevate the processes by visualizing and understanding the global flow before implementing or start working on coding.
Download Free Sample Resumes Here. Prepared by Industry Experts
How Docker Works and satisfies the 3 principles?
We can increase the Velocity by accelerating the process of flow of each component that is in pipeline. The developer, integration, and deployment flows are to increase in order to increase the velocity of each process.
- The developers can create an environment with different containers and test the process on their laptops by running on a local virtual instance.
- To handle the Integration Flow the Docker builds slaves that make multiple virtual instances run as individual Docker hosts. Like the developers run the testing from their laptop, the integrated services can run inside these build slaves.
- For Deployment Flow, Docker uses Blue Green deploys technique is used to migrate applications into production. When one node of a cluster is updated at one time, the other nodes are untouched. The green node indicates that a node is active while the blue node indicates that of inactive.
Another method to increase velocity is the use of Union FileSystems and Copy on Write (COW) method. They are used to baseline and rebase between the network layers to increase the Velocity of a process.
Docker images are binary. This feature enables the developer to experience a non-codable deployment mechanism thus minimizing the variations. If a developer tests a set of Docker images on his laptop, it would be the same during the integration testing and the production deployment.
3. Visualizing the workflow:
When services are bounded by their business context and then isolated as Docker containers they become visual. The increased visibility can help an organization discover ownership faster.
Learn Devops Tutorial
How does DevOps benefits a Developer?
- The developer does not worry about setting up a development environment with software development, testing team, hardware, network, server, database admin etc. He can directly concentrate on coding.
- It allows everyone to access and work on the same server with similar settings to that of a stationed server.
- It has associated with different DevOps applications for automating the environment provision activities like Puppet, chef etc.
- The container technology acts as a single package that can be deployed on different platforms by combining all the components like libraries, files etc.
- Guest OS and other resources are shared faster much superior to virtual machines.
- It has got the capability of accessing any version of containers. So, no need of updating or verifications to be made on software version updates
List Of MindMajix Docker Courses:
Subscribe For Free Demo
Free Demo for Corporate & Online Trainings.