A DevOps Architect has a set of roles and responsibilities which are different from that of a DevOps Engineer. DevOps Architect is a very significant role, and organizations always keep an eye to hire them.
What Is a DevOps Architect?
Typically a DevOps architect defines a systematic solution which fits best across the technical, operational, and management standards. They generate an organized solution by examining the large system environment and selecting an application framework to deal with the difficulties in the given system. A DevOps architect must be capable of handling all the issues by implementing the strategies which are in line with the DevOps best practices.
Generally, a DevOps architect must have prior experience in working as software developers, software architects, etc. DevOps architects are in much demand as they possess in-depth knowledge of all the DevOps stages and concepts. They have practical experience in dealing with DevOps, operations, configuration, leadership roles, etc.
A DevOps architect will have the roles and responsibilities similar to a DevOps Engineer; there may be some minor changes depending on the organization. An organization expects a DevOps engineer to facilitate a DevOps culture similarly to how a DevOps architect is expected to implement the changes. On hiring a DevOps architect, an organization emphasizes more on leading and facilitating teams.
Responsibilities of a DevOps Architect
- DevOps architect should automate the process with proper tools.
- Developing appropriate DevOps channels throughout the organization.
- Evaluating, implementing and streamlining DevOps practices.
- Establishing a continuous build environment to accelerate software deployment and development processes.
- Engineering general and effective processes.
- Helping operation and developers teams to solve their problems.
- Supervising, Examining and Handling technical operations.
- Providing a DevOps Process and Operations.
- Capacity to handle teams with leadership attitude.
Why Are Companies Looking for them?
Organizations looking to hire DevOps Architects who have exposure in implementing the DevOps practice and culture. As per Puppets report, a highly efficient DevOps team consumes less time on configuration management, deploys more often and takes less time to rectify and recover.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
Architects have strong leadership skills which other DevOps team members do not possess. An organization hires a DevOps architect who has excellent vision, intellectual stimulation, individual identity, leadership and management skills. DevOps architect who has proper experience can define and support excellent development/operational methodologies.
DevOps Architect Skill Set
A DevOps architect is expected to master the following three types of skills:
- Re-defining Architecture by analyzing the current system and following new practices.
- Build and establish new channels for the Operations and Development teams.
- Automate the current Processes
DevOps architects are expected to have more exposure to Agile methodology in contrast to DevOps engineers. This again proves that DevOps architects are supposed to be leaders when compared to DevOps engineers.
Recruiters are looking for?
Many companies need DevOps architect and listed below are some of the essential skill requirements.
- Must possess excellent automation skills and the ability to drive initiatives to automate processes.
- Building strong cross-functional leadership skills and working together with the operations and engineering teams to make sure that systems are scalable and secure.
- Excellent knowledge of software development and software testing methodologies along with configuration management practices in Unix and Linux-based environment.
- Possess sound knowledge of cloud-based environments.
- Experience in handling automated deployment CI/CD tools.
- Must possess excellent knowledge of infrastructure automation tools (Ansible, Chef, Puppet).
- Hand on experience in working with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Must have strong expertise in operating Linux/Unix environments and scripting languages like Python, Perl, and Shell.
- Ability to review deployment and delivery pipelines i.e., implement initiatives to minimize chances of failure, identify bottlenecks and troubleshoot issues.
- Previous experience in implementing continuous delivery and DevOps solutions.
- Experience in designing and building solutions to move data and process it.
- Must possess expertise in any of the coding languages depending on the nature of the job.
At the bottom line, we can say that a DevOps architect needs to visualize a complete picture and have a thorough understanding of how a team of developers and operations team integrates and work together. In other words, a DevOps architect must know the in and out of the complete DevOps architecture.
DevOps needs thinking out of the box to handle complex situations, and it might not seem as easy as it appears. While DevOps is not a role, every organization adapting to the DevOps culture must consider having a DevOps Architect who has the potential to redesign the existing system.