Assigning a SAS Data Library
Recommended by 0 users
This demonstration shows you, how to use the SAS Management Console to define a data library.
- Invoke SAS Management Console by selecting Start Ð All Programs Ð SAS Ð SAS Management Console 1.
- Select the BIArchitecture metadata profile then select .
3. Enter the username and password provided by the instructor.
The values shown above will be different than those used in class.
The SAS Management Console opens:
Define a SAS Data Library
4. Expand the Data Library Manager plug-in.
5. Right-click on SAS Libraries and select New Library from the pop-up. The New Library Wizard opens.
6. Select SAS Base Engine Library as the type of library to define.
7. Specify Orion Star Gold Library as the Name of the new library.
8. Specify the properties of this library:
a. Type orgold in the Libref field.
b. Select to add a new path to the list of available items
c. In the New Path Specification window, select .
The button allows you to browse the machine where the SAS Management Console is running. If the path is located on a different server, it must be typed in manually.
d. In the Browse window, navigate to C:\Workshop\winsas\sbip\Orion_Star_15AUG03\orgold.
e. Select in the New Path Specification
f. Verify that this path is now in the Selected items list.
9. If prompted, select SASMain as the SAS Application server
10. Review the settings:
11. The new library should now appear in the display area of SAS Management.
12. To view the LIBNAME statement that will be created from the metadata, right-click Orion Star Gold Library and select Display Libname….
Register Metadata for ExistingTables
When you create metadata to define a library in the SAS Management Console, you define the library only and not tables.
To import metadata to define an existing data source, use the Source Designer.
The Source Designer is a wizard-driven interface that enables you to define the physical layout of existing tables using a data dictionary or metadata information from the source system.
The result of running the Source Designer successfully is a metadata registration that describes the data source.
Register Metadata for Existing Tables
This demonstration shows how to register the metadata for the tables in the Source Tables Library.
- To invoke the Source Designer, right-click Orion Star Gold Library and select Import Tables….
- Select SASMain as the server to connect to, because it is the server where the data resides.
3. Enter the user name and password provided by the instructor.
4. Because the wizard was invoked from the library, you want to import tables for, accept the defaults by selecting
5. Select to select all the available tables.
6. Review the settings
7. The tables are now listed in the display area of SAS Management Console
Set the Authorization Level for the New Library
The metadata about libraries and tables are available to all users by default; however, access to the data within a table is not. Permissions must be added for the desired users or group of users to be able to view the data within a specific table or all tables in a specific library.
8. To set permissions for all tables in the new library, right-click Orion Star Gold Library and select Properties.
9. When the Properties window opens, select Authorization.
10. On the Authorization tab, grant the Read permission to the PUBLIC group by selecting the appropriate checkbox.
11. Select to save the changes.
12. Select File Ð Exit to close SAS Management