In today’s age of highly responsive and interactive software methodologies and processes where many organizations are utilizing some form of Agile methodology, test automation is evolving as a major requirement for most software projects. Test automation implies utilizing a software tool for running repeatable tests against the application that is to be tested. Selenium is an open-source tool used for automating the tests carried out on web browsers. The major advantage for selenium over other testing tools is that there is no licensing cost involved for it.
Tricentis Tosca is an agile enterprise software test tool utilized to automate all the stages involved in test cases and offer comprehensive test management for software applications. This tool is based on the LinearQ(sm) methodology. The one feature of this tool which makes it gain an advantage over others is the model-based technique where an Application Under Test(AUT) model is created instead of scripts for test automation. The Tosca platform accelerates testing to keep pace with DevOps and Agile.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
Now let’s differentiate between Selenium and Tosca by studying their features and comparing them.
- Selenium is an open-source automation testing tool.
- It can be scripted in both Java and Python.
- It has the support of some of the biggest software vendors who are taking or have taken steps to make selenium an intrinsic component of their browser.
- Almost all your queries can be answered regarding the usage of selenium as it consists of a huge online open-source community.
- You can write tests in the most recent languages as it is programming agnostic. It helps users to finish tests in less time and this will not be possible using manual testing.
- Most of the mainstream browsers such as IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc, are supported by Selenium. It is free to use and there is no need to pay for the license as well.
- Tricentis Tosca breaks the barriers that are experienced with traditional software testing tools with the help of the industry’s most innovative functional testing methodologies.
- Leading companies such as UBS, Orange, Lexmark, Deutsche Bank, Starbucks, BMW, Allianz, Toyota, Whole Foods, and HBO attain more than 90 percent test automation rates.
- It is recognized as the Industry Leader by top analysts.
- It reduces regression testing to minutes from weeks.
- With the help of model-based test automation, it maximizes maintainability and reuse.
- You can obtain insights into the risk of your release candidates with the help of Tricentis Tosca.
- You can achieve sustainable automation with the help of market-leading, proven methodology.
- Tosca is a paid tool but it’s user-friendly. You need not write any scripts if you use Tosca. You should just scan the module and the scripts get populated automatically.
Selenium vs Tosca
|Tosca is less popular than Selenium.||Selenium is highly popular as an automation testing tool among the companies of all sizes.|
|Tosca is used mostly by the diversified financial services industry followed by the automotive, metals and mining, airlines, and education services industries.||Selenium is used mostly by the internet software and services industry followed by Professional Services, diversified financial services, media, and communications.|
|Tosca has less customers when compared with Tosca is the US, UK, Australia, and Canada.||Selenium has many customers in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada.|
|Scripting is not required for Tosca.||Multiple scripts are needed for Selenium.|
|The ease of adoption and ease of maintenance are very high for Tosca.||The ease of adoption and ease of maintenance are low for Selenium when compared with Tosca.|
|The type of automation is model-based for Tosca.||The type of automation is code-based for Selenium.|
|The reusability of test data and artifacts is low for Selenium.||The reusability of test data and artifacts is high for Tosca when compared with Selenium.|
|Tosca has a dedicated support for deployment and adoption.||Selenium lacks dedicated support for deployment and adoption.|
|Tosca possesses the testing capabilities for autonomous SAP testing, SAP impact analysis, BI/DW testing, test case design, test data management, and exploratory management.||Selenium lacks the testing capabilities for autonomous SAP testing, SAP impact analysis, BI/DW testing, test case design, test data management, and exploratory management.|
|Tosca is a paid tool.||Selenium is a free tool.|
This article lists the features of Tricentis Tosca and Selenium and compares them. So, when choosing an automated testing tool for your organization, check whether it simulates the user actions over the user interface of the tested application(perform functional testing), supports the types of tests that you are going to run, runs tests created with MSTest, DUnit, JUnit, or NUnit, or supports distributed testing. So, depending upon your business needs including the factors discussed just above in this part, you can choose the right automation tool for your organization