This Blue Prism Tutorial is designed in a manner to provide you with a good understanding of What Blue Prism is? Blue Prism Features, and Blue Prism Components in detail. Blue Prism is a lot of libraries, apparatuses, and runtime situations for RPA. However, the article focuses on covering details related to Blue Prism and how it is laid out. You will then have a look at how Blue Prism fares in comparison to other RPA tools. You can directly jump into a specific section that interests you if you are already aware of the concepts or else go by the traditional approach of understanding the concepts first and then to the actual topics later.
What is Blue Prism?
Blue Prism Group is the Organization who has come with the enterprise Robotic Process Automation software named Blue Prism, which helps in eliminating high risk and low return manual data entry work. Blue Prism is a Robotic Process Automation software product that allows businesses with an agile digital workforce.
Blue Prism software enables business operations to be agile and cost-effective by automating, rule-based, manual, repetitive back-office processes to improve accuracy and develop a "Digital Workforce." The tool offers a flow chart like a designer with drag and drops feature for automating each step of the business process.
Blue Prism Features
With access to a self-learning digital workforce evolving continuously improves users with the capability to automate billions of transactions- increase in productivity and returning hundreds of millions of work hours back into the business. Now, let us go through some of the features that Blue Prism offers to their end customers as well:
- Secure & Accurate: There is a limitless number of processes that need to be executed in this tool. Blue Prism delivers accurate and secure results to any number of processes you wish to automate.
- Robust: It provides robust features like data encryption, load balancing, and end-to-end auditing. So, every change is audited and is related back to its related user.
- Scalable & Resilient: Allows scalability using central management, making the processes automated as per the need and can be monitored centrally.
- 24*7 Workforce: The tool is designed to work intelligently without a person physically tracking every action occurring on the screen.
- Analytics: Provides extended features to configure Dashboards so that the session information can be redirected to the Monitoring Systems.
- Data Security and Data Abstraction: the tool is specially created to work autonomously, and the processing is performed in a data center, providing a well-defined data abstraction of data and process security.
- Provide Cloud support: Provides capacity support to complete the task as per the business requirement so that the users have just to manage them centrally.
- Execution Intelligence: Robots connect to systems and react dynamically to the responses in the data on multiple environments.
- Enables safe and secure management of its virtual workforce (containing the software robots)
- Blue Prism also enables the session details to external Analytics systems or monitoring systems to configure dashboards
- Many of the file types ranging from XML, CSV, Excel, PDF and all image types can be automated
- Blue Prism can also automate code that’s written in Mainframe, Java, Windows applications and even web-based applications
Blue Prism Components
Blue Prism, as such, is a combination of libraries, tools and also some runtime environments provided for RPA. Each of these RPA based software has two main components in general. Let us discuss these in further sections of the article, but let us take a glance about them below:
- Process Diagram
- Object Studio
- Process Studio
- Application Modeller
The Process Diagram is a business workflow, which acts as a software program. Since Blue Prism is a Java-based program, utilize core concepts of programming and design the work process flow like flow charts. These are graphical representations of workflows to design, analyze, modify and scale the business capability.
The process acts like a human user, implements the logic of a software robot. It is almost similar interacting personally with several applications to carry a series of steps that can invoke actions to carry out the same steps.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
- A process diagram is comprised of distinct stages connected using links to form logical structures.
- The stages are selected from the toolbar and are placed on the diagram using the mouse.
- They can be selected, formatted, resized, moved, cut, copied, pasted, and deleted much as you expect.
- Dragging without the link tool can be used to select more than one stage at a time.
- Stages also consist of distinct properties to access by double-clicking.
Blue Prism Object Studio is the module where you get the chance to create a Visual Business Object, generally goes by the acronym VBO. Visual Business Objects are created just so that they can interact with other business applications.
Almost all enterprises require communication with external applications for task automation. Since it is not possible in Process Studio, Object Studio is used. Object Studio is the area where VBOs are created. These objects are nothing but diagrammatical programs to interact with external applications performing operations.
What is Process Studio?
Blue Prism Process Studio will be similar to a flowchart, and it will be the actual area where a process is created. There are other features like Control loops, logic, variables and object calls possible than what is available in Object studio. These can all be sequenced and tested cleanly inside a business flow flawlessly. A process can further be understood as a depiction of a human user. It can also be a sequential set of steps that need to be carried out with the interaction from several other applications.
Features of Process Studio
- A process is very much similar to a business object. Each operation is defined by using one or more pages and contains distinct data stages.
- Each page in a process has an individual tab allowing the user to divide the processes into distinct logical groupings.
- A process acts like a human user who thinks and types very fast.
- Need to publish the process then only it visible to Control Room.
- It allows the user to design the logic by assembling the design surface graphically.
The embedded capability within Object Studio, where the configuration to interact with the existing applications of UI elements. These elements are identified by the bot using selected element attributes configured and updated to make them unique for every single element. The bot can then interact with these elements to perform operations over them.
Features of Application Modeller :
- Enables software integrators to create software packages automatically and manage the deployment pipeline effectively and accurately.
- Blue Prisms Application Modeller provides the ability to manage the releases of complex and distributed applications in an innovative way.
What is the Blue Prism process?
A Business Process is created using Blue Prism Process Studio, and as we discussed - as Blue Prism Processes are similar to VBOs, Process Studio is also identical to Object Studio. This is depicted in the following figure in some more detail:
Just the way we have seen in Object Studio, a process has its own page where the analyst can group on a logical basis. Process Studio just like Object Studio, allows its users to create some logic graphically. Process Studio also provides debugger tools to enable users to step through processes and to understand the logic better. The biggest challenge that someone might face is the business processes being set with the proper values. Hence the feature from Process Studio to keep track of the history of changes that were made and made by which individual, to recover the last working state without any hassles.
There is also another issue that analysts face while working with business processes - track of what happens when these are executed. Blue Prism process can be tested to see how much percentage of chances the process is covering based on the real-time data, which helps them tweak the process a little bit - should there be a need to do it. Immediate feedback can be achieved and also very helpful in making the business process more effective and efficient.
Upcoming Batches - RPA Training!
7:00 AM IST
6:30 AM IST
6:30 AM IST
6:30 AM IST
As discussed above, a Blue Prism process can be understood as a depiction of a Human user as it accesses applications through their respective user interfaces as a regular user does. To be very precise, to some extent, a Blue Prism process can be understood similar to that of a VBO.
The logic of a Visual Business Object (VBO) is implemented within one or more pages. The following figure shows how each page contains the required operations, which are nothing but a set of stages holding the data items used by that operation.
A page, when published, allows for it be invoked by Blue Prism process or by other software as well. A page can be kept private so that it can be used in other pages inside a VBO. Irrespective of the choices made, a page begins with a Start and ends with an End stage (as shown in the figure above). Let us now take a look at some of the essential steps within a VBO:
- Read: Reads data from a UI element into a data item
- Write: Puts data from an available data item onto a UI element
- Navigate: Do necessary clicks to navigate to the respective area on an application screen
- Wait: Conditional wait for a condition to be met
- Link: Stages within a page’s operations can be linked
- Decision: Provides a conditional statement to decide (control flow)
- Choice: Enacts as like a Switch statement allowing only one selection from the available list of options
- Calculation: Expressions that perform data manipulation or calculation
- Loop: Constructs to traverse through the available data
- Page: To call another Page from within a VBO
- Exception: Erroneous scenarios throwing back failure of an operation
- Recovery: Handles code blocks to recover from erroneous situations
- Resume: Ends a timed wait and gets back into the execution
What are Business Objects?
To implement an RPA system in any given organization, there is a need for us to have a real process which does the actual tasks and it also needs to work along with a set of external applications. Business Object is a diagram which is different from the actual process diagram that is nothing but an interface to the application.
Business Object will never be configured in the Blue Prism Process Studio but will be set on an environment called the Blue Prism Object Studio. The main objective of a Business Object is to provide an interface to a business application. A Business Object will never be exposed to the Control Room module, and it will never be running on its own. It will always be used along with a Process.
Benefits of using Blue Prism
- No IT skills are required to implement in Blue Prism
- A solution can be applied in the shortest period
- Allows you to automate application controls thereby increasing bot’s velocity
- Provides a rich feature set on the analytics suite
- Allows building an effective and efficient end to end business process automation
- More efficient and effective end to end business process automation can be achieved using Blue Prism
- You can obtain real-time feedback from the Control Room module, which will help you get a detailed insight into your digital workforce.
- Custom permissions module allows robot groups and robots to be given user-specific access for a safe and secure automation process
- Data storage, access, and connectivity is ensured using the multi-tiered encryption algorithms
- Customized digital front ends provide an easy way to integrate front office agents and the back office bots in improving humans and bots interaction.
Differences between the available RPA tools:
|Features||UiPath||Blue Prism||Automation Anywhere||Open span||WorkFusion|
|How to learn?||Has a free-edition to play with and understand the features available||There is no trial version available but its feature are well explained||A 30 days trial version to explore and understand the features available||No Trial version available||Has a WorkFusion RPA Express version to get your hands dirty|
|How easy or hard is learning?||Comes with a user-friendly visual designer explaining stuff on the go.||Comes with a user-friendly visual designer explaining stuff on the go.
This is easier than Automation Anywhere
|Strictly for developers as it requires heavy programming skills||Relatively easier than Automation Anywhere||Relatively easier than Automation Anywhere|
More popular than Automation Anywhere
|Least popular when compared to UiPath and Blue Prism||Least popular amongst the tools that we are discussing||Midway between Blue Prism and Openspan|
|Pricing||UiPath sells per bot||Blue Prism sells per bot too||Automation Anywhere sells per process||Has subscription-based pricing (SaaS)||WorkFusion sells per process|
Has features like macro recording and drag-drop
|Has features like drag-drop||
Has features like macro recording and drag-drop
Has features like drag-drop
Has features like macro recording and drag-drop
Blue Prism is becoming a necessity for software robots, which will be implemented in several organizations in the coming future. This is the reason why its demand will increase more than ever. In this context, Mindmajix is providing the best RPA tutorials including Blue Prism tutorial, UiPath tutorial, Automation Anywhere tutorial, OpenSpan Tutorial with the aim of providing impeccable training material so that anyone can learn these RPA tools and receive certifications in the first attempt itself. You are a click away for a successful career in Blue Prism, use this golden opportunity to become proficient.