SQL Server Integration Services – SSIS Architecture Overview
Recommended by 0 users
SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)
SSIS are 2 types
ETL Operations (Extracting Transform Load)
E- Extracting –> Getting data
T- Transform –> performing intermediate operations
L- Load –> Load to destination
DB <-> DB
DB <-> File
File <-> File
- Taking backup of a data base
- Sharing data base
- History clean up
- Transferring data base/ log/error msg etc…
Databases: Oracle, SQL server, Tara data etc..
Files: XML, Excel, Flat file. Raw file etc…
There are 4 important components in SSIS Architecture
- Object model
- SSIS runtime
- Integration services service
- Data flow task
SSIS Designer: It’s a native tool to create ‘IS’ packages and it components.
Object model: It is an application programming interface which connects and understands custom tools and components.
SSIS runtime: This is ‘CLR’ which saves the layout of the packages (.dtx) runs the packages and manages the package components.
Integration services service: This component helps us to store the packages in SQL server_database (MSDB), managing the packages and running the packages.
To move the data between source to destination and perform different operations, data flow task is required.
It uses various “Inline buffers” while processing the data.
It uses a “data pipe line engine” to move the data from source to destination and to manager buffers.
Package and its Components
Package is on important component in SSIS Architecture.
- It can be constructed through custom tools (or) native tools.
- It performs all operations such as “ETL” and administrative task.
- It uses various other components as part of its processing. Ex: Logging, event handling, package configuration etc.
- Control flow task is mandatory for every package.
- To move the data from source to destination data flow task requires.
ENGINES IN SSIS
–> SQL engine (generates plan to execute package)
–> Data pipe line engine (only inside data flow task)
Different between DTS and SSIS
a) Enterprise manager (SQL server)
b) File system (structured storage file )
2008 to 2008R2
- 2008 R2 is the “second release” of 2008.
- Code name “KILIMANJARO”.
- Released in middle of 2009.
–> Max 25 instances in CMS.
–> Max 256 logical processors in CMS.
–> Multi server administrator.
–> MDS [Master Data Services].
–> “Data-tier” applications
–> POWPIVOT for virtualization
–> Full support to
- Ms-excel 2010.
- Ms visual studio 2010.
- Full support to SharePoint server
–> Data compression with UCS-2 code support.
–> Available edition
i) Data centre edition
- Huge data storage
- Recommended for OLTP, ODS storages.
ii) Parallel DWH edition
- Huge data storage
- Recommended for BI applications.
2008R2 to 2011:
èIts code name “DENAIL”
èMulti sun-net failover clustering introduced.
Creating sequence introduced.
Syntax: create sequence <sequence name> START WITH <value> increment by <value>. Eg: create sequence x start with 1 increment by 1. Insert into test values (Next value for x, ”vinay” –> emp ID or username)
Paging implement in 2011:
- It display the required rows in page wise.
- Full text search of index introduced.
- The usage of excel power point pivot enhanced so that reporting models are created easily.
- Analysis service “BISM” (Business Intelligence Semantic Model) introduced. It is a 3-layer model.
- WEB based visualization (project crescendo introduced) it is a code name for representing application for better visualizations.