Introduction to Python Programming
What is Python?
Python is one of the most popular, high-level programming languages. It was designed by Guido Van Rossum, who wanted to have a language which will make the coding easier and faster to process. It is easy to learn Python even for starters. Because of its ability Python is allows us to integrate various systems more efficiently. There are two versions of Python available: Python 2 and Python 3. From this article, we will learn the basics of Python.
What can Python do?
Python is a general purpose programming language and can be used for some really complex applications. Some common applications of Python are:
- It can be used along with the database systems. It can also read and modify the files.
- It can be used for handling large amount of data and perform complex mathematical calculations.
- It can be used on the servers to create web applications.
- It can be used for production-ready software development with quicker prototyping.
- It can be used for simple scripting and data analysis.
- Python can be used for machine learning.
We have already explored the multiple purposes for which Python should be used. Here are some reasons why you should learn it:
- Python is available on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac etcetera).
- Python allows programmers to do much more programming with fewer blocks of codes and easier syntax.
- Python runs on the interpreter systems. Hence, the code is executed as soon as it is written.
- Python can be treated in multiple ways: functional or object-oriented.
- For beginners, Python is the best way to get acquainted with programming.
[Related Page: Install Python On Windows And Linux]
Some of the basic components of Python are discussed below:
- Python variables: There is no command for declaring the value in Python 3. It is only created at the moment you assign the value to it.
- Python strings: Strings in Python are surrounded by the double quotation marks.
- Python numbers: Python provides three numeric types: int, float, and complex.
- Python Syntax: Syntax in Python can be executed directly by writing in the command line.
- Python Sets: In Python, sets are elements that are neither indexed nor ordered.
- Python casting: The variable types can be assigned to the variable using the casting.
Checkout Python Tutorial
Features of Python programming language
These are some features that make Python one of the best programming languages for beginners
- Open source: Python is an ‘open source’ programming language. That means programmers are allowed to do some modifications.
- Cross-platform: Python is available on multiple platforms.
- User-friendly: Syntaxes in Python are readable and easy to learn.
- Large standard library: Python comes with a large library of functions, which can make programming quite easier.
- Exception handling: Exceptions in Python are errors that can stop the program from getting executed. This feature allows us to write less error-prone articles.
- Automatic Memory Management: Python performs real-time management of the memory, which means memory is freed regularly.
What is Python 3?
Python 3 is the upgraded version of Python 2.7 and it was released in 2008. It is also known as “Python 3000” and “Python Py3K”. Python 3 was not supposed to be compatible with previous versions, but some of its important features also have been found to be compatible with the Python 2.7 version.
Frequently Asked Python Interview Questions
What is new in Python 3?
There are no such major upgradations in Python 3 other than it being intentionally incompatible with the previous versions. Besides this, there are minor bug and error fixes.
[Related Article: Comprehensions in Python]
Applications of Python
Python allows user to perform wide range of applications. The major ones are listed below:
- Web programming: Python allows programmers to create wide range of web based applications. With available libraries in Python, it becomes quite easier to make these applications.
- Scripting: Scripting is a process of creating run-time environments in which tasks are operated one-by-one. Since Python is an interpreted language, it supports scripting.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Python contains some special libraries for machine learning. Hence making making machine quite easy.
- Scientific Computing: Just like in case of ‘AI’, Python also has libraries for making computing quite easy.
[Related Article: Regular expression operations]
Beginning with Python programming
Any programming language requires certain tools and modules for its proper functioning. Here are some basic steps to get started with Python.
Finding an interpreter:
You can find a variety of interpreters online. In case of windows, IDLE (Integrated DeveLopment
Writing the first program:
print("My first code in Python")
Here in Python, ‘#’ is used for comments. They are just used for increasing readability and are ignored by Python.
Now, we are using ‘print’ to print the required text “My first code in Python”.
My first code in Python
This is a very basic code of Python to give you an idea about the syntax.Environment) comes up when you install Python from the official site.
It comes by default with Python.
What are the advantages of learning python?
Python is one of the easiest languages that beginners can use to get their hands on programming as it does not require many technical specialities. Here are the advantages of using Python.
- It is easy to use and learn Python.
- Python provides fast prototyping and is available on cross platforms.
- Python software is regularly updated, and hence, new features are regularly coming.
- Python is optimal for general purposes like data facilitation and data mining.
- Python was introduced in 1980’s hence there have been really interesting developments. The library available with Python is promising enough to make programming easier.
We have seen that Python is used from simpler to complex purposes. Besides, one does not require any really serious technical aspects. So, if you are looking to get your hands on Programming, you should begin with Python.
Explore Python Sample Resumes! Download & Edit, Get Noticed by Top Employers!Download Now!
Subscribe For Free Demo
Free Demo for Corporate & Online Trainings.