Creating Automation Workflow Rules In SalesForce
WFR is an automated mechanism in Salesforce by which, when a record is created or edited, we can perform 4 types of actions and make our business automated, without writing any code.
What we can do with Workflow Rule?
- We can create a task for someone.
- We can send an automated email.
- We can update the database by updating any field.
- We can send OBM to the external platform.
What is Workflow?
Workflow automates the following types of actions based on your organization's processes:
- Field Updates — Update the value of a field on a record.
- Email Alerts — Send an email to one or more recipients you specify.
- Tasks — Assign a new task to a user, role, or record owner.
- Outbound Messages — Send a secure, configurable API message (in XML format) to a designated listener.
For example, the workflow can:
- Assign follow-up tasks to a support representative one week after a case is updated.
- Send sales management an email alert when a sales representative qualifies for a large deal.
- Change the Owner field on a contract three days before it expires.
- Trigger an outbound API message to an external HR system to initiate the reimbursement process for an approved expense report.
Each workflow rule consists of:
- Criteria that causes the workflow rule to run.
- Immediate actions that get executed when a record matches the criteria. For example, Salesforce can automatically send an email that notifies the account team when a new high-value opportunity is created.
- Time-dependent actions that queue when a record matches the criteria, and execute according to time triggers. For example, Salesforce can automatically send an email reminder to the account team if a high-value opportunity is still open ten days before the close date.
Steps to create Workflow Rule on “Email Alert” - Actions:
Let us discuss in detail with a sample business scenario for the creation of Workflow Rule on Email Alert.
Business Scenario: Need to send Email alert along with a message for the form filler that, if the candidate is having less than 3 years of experience, the candidate's placement will be delayed.
- If the custom template required, it should be created.
- Customization for “Email Body Template” as per the business requirement.
Steps to create Email Template:
Setup → Administer → Communication Templates → Classic Email Templates → New Template → Text → Email Template Information (section) → Fill the details → Save.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get new updates..!
Sample Content in Email Template:
Thanks for applying to our company.
As of now, we don’t have any vacancy for your experience.
As you have less than 3 years of experience, there will be a delay in offering you a job.
Note: We can customize the email body with required fields in specific positions also. For this, we need to follow another process - Merge Fields.
How to Merge fields in Email Template?
Following the above Email Template: Steps to create Merge Fields in the Email Template are as follows:
Select the field Type(required object) → Select Field → We can visualize the auto-created merge value for the field selected in the below mentioned “Copy Merge Field Value” → Copy the value from the box and paste in the “Email Body” where required.
Steps to create Workflow Rule on “Email Alert”:
Login to Salesforce → Setup → Build → Create → Workflow & Approvals → Workflow Rules → Edit the existing Workflow Rule → Workflow Actions → Edit → Add Workflow Action → New Email Alert → Fill in the required fields → Email Template(created email template - Placement Notification USA Template) → Select the Recipient Type(Email Field) → Candidate’s Email → We can add Email to Outsider’s in the below-mentioned box(Maximum 5 Emails are allowed) → Select the Current User’s email address → Save → Click on Done(Immediate Workflow Actions).
How to check whether the Email has been sent or not?
Steps to Identify - Email Sent or Not:
Setup → Logs → Email Log Files → Click on “Request Email Log” → Select the data range(From & To for the Log Report) → Delivery Notifications → Include the Email ID for which the Report is to send → Submit Request.
Note: A mail is sent to the Email id Requested for Report. From there, we can download the report.
In the next topic, we will discuss in detail about “Configuring Tasks in Workflow Rules”. Keep following us for more info on Salesforce Administration.
Mindmajix offers different Salesforce certification training according to your desire with hands-on experience on Salesforce concepts